Intakes were cast today

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
Here's the first two proto types. These two were cast without the water box, as the patterns were not quite ready. However, they will allow us to proceed with the flow test, and finishing up the carb adaptors. We'll also get some hands on testing at the next race, which is only three weeks away. That is if Will gets the new motor installed in the Falcon in time. ;)

They will machine them tomorrow, so I can pick them up on Friday while I'm in LA on business.

ford6manifoldM.jpg

Good deal..I am not toooooo far from Buena Park. I know of a place that does foundry work (mainly wheels though) over in Anaheim, and was wondering if it might have been there. (Since they have done smaller quantity and custom runs of things)

Mike, looks like you are close, i better get my wallet out, Bill

Can't WAIT.......... :banana: :party: :party: I have a Holly 600 sitting on the bench ready to be installed.

Bill "The Guy Who Built A Six" Richcreek

The intakes look great! Just one concern...if running a carburator will the bottom of the linkage clear the intake without having to use some kind of spacer? I'm concerned about hood clearance with my 250.

YES!!!YES!!!Yessssssss.......

I'll have what she having!

I want one for my Oz 2v Head. I dont need no stinking addapter!!!!

Looks awesome Mike.

Frank

Gene Fiore":2qt7mv0j said:
The intakes look great! Just one concern...if running a carburator will the bottom of the linkage clear the intake without having to use some kind of spacer? I'm concerned about hood clearance with my 250.

Gene,
We have the same problem, but it's easily fixed.
The only thing we've had to modify is the bottom half of the throttle linkage that hooks to the throttle shaft. I don't remember the name of it! :x It's the portion that sticks down below the carb base. It's the vertical, stamped steel thingy that you attached your linkage too.
Anyway you can just bend it, or cut it off, so it'll clear.
Later,
Will

Here's some ideas were working on.

We purposely keep the flange low, so we'd have room to mount the adaptors. If I measured correctly, a 1" adaptor/spacer will work best. It will give adequet hood clearance and solve the linkage issues.

We are going to try using molded phenolic spacers as the carb adaptor. By installing helicoils in the existing holes, the carb studs could be threaded into the spacer. Then all we need to do, is to drill four countershunk tappered holes to mount it to the intake. The spacers are available in various thicknesses from 1/2" to 2" thick.
medium17-63.jpg

If your worried about hood clearance, you could use this adaptor and mount twin sidedraft Webers or TBI's. Which would make a great looking setup. ;)
IA120H.jpg

My photo shop skills aren't the best, but here's the idea.
ford6manifoldA.jpg

If your worried about hood clearance, you could use this adaptor and mount twin sidedraft Webers or TBI's. Which would make a great looking setup.

Head turner? There's a real neck snapper at a show. Cool!!

To see full sized images of the machined intake, click the links
http://www.classicinlines.com/images/te ... 6cylF1.jpg
http://www.classicinlines.com/images/te ... 6cylF2.jpg
Ford6cylS2.jpg

turbo_fairlane_200":1rp4tn3f said:
how well would that adaptor work? wouldn't you have to turn it sideways and have fuel spilling out the rear facing carb?

I'm not sure how it would work with Weber carbs, but I ordered one so I can mount two TB's on it. The cylinder head is already set up with injectors, so all I need to do is machine the pads on the intake. For engine management, I'll use either Spectre's eMS-Pro which is based on a Megasquirt, or Emeralds K3.

My 250ci block is at the machine shop and should be ready sometime next week. We'll be using 40+ forged pistons, and a new 278 solid lifter cam profile from Clay Smith, which just arrived today. We kept the C/R at 8:7 so we can add a supercharger later on, but plan to use a shot of juice to compensate for the lower C/R. Hopefully I can get it all together and dropped in my 66 coupe in time for the Phoenix race in three weeks.

AzCoupe":2l6d7r3b said:

Wow. That is some serious eye candy.

:)

If that setup flows as well as it appears it will then folks may well be able to get something like one flywheel horsepower per cubic inch of displacement out of daily-driver-friendly, naturally aspirated engines.

:p

Out of curiosity (and some ignorance), what is the function of that cast-on boss down on the side of the #6 intake runner on the intake? It looks like either a mounting point for something or a place to attach some kind of fitting to the manifold.

woodbutcher":1iawgunx said:
:( Not getting any pics on the two links posted.Is there a problem on my end or yours?
Leo

Try clicking on the links below. (I kinda tweaked the hidden BBCode in my response and it might make them work better for you.)

http://www.classicinlines.com/images/tech_images/Ford6cylF1.jpg
http://www.classicinlines.com/images/tech_images/Ford6cylF2.jpg

By the way, they are really big images ... which is likely why he didn't just post them in his original message.

Back