More intake photos (warning dail-up users, pic heavy)

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
I went to LA this past weekend, and spent all day Tuesday working on the intakes. The first part of the day was spent with the pattern maker. We mounted a phenolic spacer to one of the intakes, and it works great. For a 2V carb, we'll use a solid phenolic spacer and machine the bores where we want them.

Were not sure if we want to leave the small plenum dividers, or remove them. It may depend on the application (2V 0r 4V), we just not sure. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to add them later. However its easy to machine them out, so we added them in for now. We'll do various modifications and some dyno testing to find out for sure, once we get the production intakes.

I also spent some time comparing the old OZ250-2v intake, to the new intake and the cylinder head. While the 2V intakes bolt up and work on the new head, the ports do not match up and there is a 1/8-3/16 cresent shaped ridge in every port. This is due the the aluminum head having slightly smaller ports (for improved velocity) as well as being on slightly diffent centers. This mis-match obviously creates massive amounts of turbulence in the intake runners, resulting in reduced performance gains in naturally aspirated applications. If the old 2V intake is to be used on a permanent basis, the intake will need to be port match to the cylinder head for optimum gains.

The new intake ports are not only a precise match, they also have improved runners which increase the runner velocity. While the 2V runners are the same size over the lenght of the runner, the new intake runners decrease in size. This is visable in the comparison pics below. Later on, we'll try adding a vertical plate to make a dual plane intake. This can be done easily with a custom adaptor.

Hence, when the guys using the 2V intakes switch to the new 4V intake, they should see a NOTICABLE GAIN in performance.

The second part of the day was spent at Buddy Bar, which is the foundry that will be doing the castings and machine work. I went over just to set up my account with them, but wound up spending three hours with the owner, who is also an Inliner. Unfortunately, his is a Chevy, with the Fissel head and Hilborn injectors.

Buddy Bar is the largest privately owned foundry in the US, and do casting for several big compaies, including Ford and just about any other aftermarket performance company you can think of. We spent the first hour in his office just chatting and looking at pics, then he took me out and gave me a personal tour of the plant. What a great way to spend an afternoon. It was fascinating and very informative. We've been invited back to take pics, when they do he first production run on the intakes.

Anyway, here's a few more pics of the intakes. I'm really please with the intakes, as the pattern maker did an outstanding job on them. It pays to hire the best in the business. He's not cheap, but worth every penny IMO. ;)

Notice the shape of the runners. Also note the vacuum port moved to the side for a cleaner look.
intake23.jpg

We decided against cast nipples, as corrosion was a problem on many 2V intakes.
intake24.jpg

The production intakes will have screw in nipples for the water box.
intake19.jpg

intake21.jpg

intake27.jpg

A phenolic spacer used as an adaptor, which works great
intake29.jpg

intake30.jpg

No problem with carb linkage interferance
intake34.jpg

Injector pads can be used to mount return spring and throttle cable brackets if desired.
intake36.jpg

intake39.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. 8) I can't wait to hear the response from the guys who have been running the 2V intake. I feel there will be a noticable difference in power. Since these guys have already tested with the 2V, we will get to see a good comparison.

Mike, have you compared the intake to an Aussie 2V head to see how well the intake will work on the iron head?

Stubby":1sjhj50h said:
Mike, have you compared the intake to an Aussie 2V head to see how well the intake will work on the iron head?

Not yet, but plan to do it tomorrow. It should be better, as the ports in the cast iron head are larger, rather than smaller.

Mike, could you release some heavily "watermarked" versions of those pictures so I can show them to the earlyfalcons.com mailing list?

Thanks, Adam.

addo":2cc1l2p0 said:
Mike, could you release some heavily "watermarked" versions of those pictures so I can show them to the earlyfalcons.com mailing list?

Thanks, Adam.

Check your e-mail. ;)

Back