General Updates as of 9-19

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
First, the heads were delayed a week but are shipping this afternoon. Before shipping aluminum heads, they pressurize the head to 400psi to verify the porosity is correct and there are no leaks. However, the compressor broke while they were testing our heads and they had to order parts to fix it. But that’s all been done and they are now on the way.

I also heard from the foundry this morning. They decided to put a rush on the intakes and are making the cores today. This means they will cast the intakes sometime later this week, or the first part of next week. They still need to make the tooling and machine the intakes, but we should receive the intakes in four to six weeks, rather than two or three months. That was great news.

We also had a new header produced, which was modified to match the ports on the aluminum head. The biggest difference is the separation between the third and fourth ports. US and AU heads have Siamese ports, while the new aluminum head does not. While this means no port divider is needed, it also resulted in a half-inch separation between the ports, which is required for the expansion and contraction.

Most US headers have the ports Siamese or are bare minimum of space between the ports. While they will work on the aluminum head, we felt it would be better to modify our headers to match the separation. Hence the flanges were made with the same half-inch of separation between the ports. They match the aluminum head precisely, but will still work with US and OZ heads. In fact it should help prevent blown head gaskets, as this is the most common place for the header gasket to fail.

When we went to pick the headers up a few weeks ago, I was not pleased with the way they came out. Among other things, they failed to put the separation between the ports as I had requested, thus making them the same as a normal header. There were a few other problems, but this was my biggest concern, so I refused to accept them. The company has been working on the modifications the past three weeks and called me this morning to go over and give my approval on the redesigned header. I was extremely happy with the results and gave the go ahead to produce the first batch, so they should be ready sometime next week.

And I still have more good news. I talked in length with Cometic Gaskets yesterday and they have agreed to produce their multi layered steel (MLS) head gasket for us. MLS head gaskets can be produced in various thicknesses and by ordering in minimum batch quantizes, we can specify any thickness as long as it within the minimum or maximum thickness required. Therefore we will be producing them in various thicknesses, from .025 up to .080, we just haven’t decided on the increments yet.

They will also be developing their new Phuzion MSL head gasket (pronounced "FUSION") for us, which are used for high boost applications. The Phuzion head gaskets utilize a gas filled o-ring, which eliminates the use of copper head gaskets and the necessity to o-ringing the block, which is very labor intensive. Copper head gaskets seep coolant, where as the Phuzion MLS gaskets do not. While the gaskets are not cheap, it’s a great solution where a thin gasket is required, or for high boost applications.

List price for the MLS gaskets will be around $150 per gasket, and the Phuzion gaskets will be around $200 each. I believe the gaskets will be offered exclusively through Classic Inlines, as we are paying for the tooling.

I also heard from the foundry this morning. They decided to put a rush on the intakes and are making the cores today. This means they will cast the intakes sometime later this week, or the first part of next week. They still need to make the tooling and machine the intakes, but we should receive the intakes in a couple weeks, rather than a couple months. That was great news.

Lots of good news....especially this!!! :D :D :D

Looking forward to getting my new intake.....maybe I can still get it on and test it in October. Track closes last weekend in October..... :devilish: :unsure: :( :(

Later,

Doug

Mike, what are the specs on the new headers??
Such as primary pipe diameter & length & collector diameter.
I assume they are dual outlet headers?? Thanks Bill

Same as the old headers. We didn't make any changes for the production header. I have a new header on the drawing board, which maximizes flow for the new head, but it will be a while before we make it. Have others to do first.

All sounds good Mike....So, With all the good news what will your ticker symbol be when you hit the stock exhange? Maybe "nlinesix"....Congrats...Michael

Hmm? Do I wait for the intake or not?

The season is over, I won't be driving it much this winter, The car should be running in a week or so, ect.

Is there a need to know what kind of power is possible using the 2V intake on this new head?

I have waited this long....I don't know.

I had a nice morning. I went over to my machine shop and got to talking with the owner about the new heads. He setting two of them up for me right now and I had to drop off some springs. Anyway, we started talking about port work and he gave me a number and told me to call a guy named Elmo. So I did.

I wound up going over to his house and spent a couple hours in the garage/shop chatting with him. Elmo worked for GM for 33 years, with the last 22 years working in R&D at the GM test gounds. However a couple years ago he was called into the office, and was told the company was going thru tough times and he was to be laid off in a couple weeks. They told him he could reapply, but would have to transfer to Detroit. Well he wasn't about to play their game and walked out right there on the spot. I knew right then we were going to get along great.

On top of his experience with GM, he raced A gas for several years. So when he left GM, he opened his own shop and started doing head work for many of the local area racers. He already had all the equipment and contacts, and was doing side work on the weekends, so it was an easy tranformation. I guess I don't need to tell you why I was there.

I wound up leaving a cylinder head with him, and will be taking the very first proto type back over this afternoon. The first head was never fully machined, only surfaced, so it isn't much good as it sits. It will be disected and inspected. After doing some flow and velocity test, he's going to make some recomendations for porting and quote pricing for the various stages.

I'm really currious to see where this goes and what he can do with the head. Once he's completed a head, I plan to have it digitized and do some production heads on a CNC.

Well, I have some good news, and some bad. Taking a head over to Elmo has already paid off. We already found out how to increase the performance without porting (that's the good news). After I left, Elmo started working on the head immediately, as he said he was excited about the project. However the first thing he noticed was a problem with the valves (the bad news).

I've had three heads done here locally, Will had a head done, plus all the heads that were done by various shops used by the members doing field testing. It's reallly hard for me to think that not one of these shops (so called experts) caught the problem.

The 1.84 intake valves were custom ordered and made specifically for Classic Inlines. Since they were all shipped in one box, and individually wrapped, I never bothered to open one up and check it. Evidently no one else did either, except Elmo. He said the minute he dropped a valve in the head, he noticed it dropped into the seat a bit to much, so he pulled it back out and mic'd it. Then he did all the others, and discovered they are only 1.80 intakes.

He immediately got on the phone and called SI, as he is very good friends with them and has been doing business with them for many years. Before I got back to his place, with the other head, I got a call from SI. They explained what Elmo had discovered, check it out, and verified that there had been a mistake somewhere in the system. They apologized for the error, and told me the new valves had already been ordered. However, since they are a custom valve size, its going to take two to three weeks to get the replacements.

Those that already have the heads installed, have two options. First, they can leave the 1.80 valves in. While they are not the optimum size, they will work just fine. They just won't allow the head to flow the maximum amount of air possible. If they choose to pull the head and replace the intakes, they just need to let me know and I'll ship out a set of replacement vavles at no charge. That is, once they come in. Sorry guys, but at least we know there is a slight gain to be had if you choose to replace them. Just how much of a gain, or if its worth the effort to replace them, is unknown.

It sure seems I've had my share of problems lately. Recieving the wrong parts (not just the valves), an entire batch of headers being made wrong, schedule & shipping delays, and suppliers running out of products. I wonder what's next........ :roll: ;)

Locusts! Just kidding. Setbacks are unfortunately part of doing something new and innovative. May good luck be on your side from now on!

AzCoupe":2hdq24wp said:
sure seems I've had my share of problems lately. Recieving the wrong parts (not just the valves), an entire batch of headers made wrong, schedule & shipping delays, suppliers running out of products. I wonder what's next........ :roll: ;)

:D Hi Mike. At least it was a problem with the valves being a bit too small (.040) and SI owning up to the booboo and correcting it asap. Instead of the head itself. Thank the Lord for small favors.
Leo

Mike count me in for a Phuzion (Fusion) gasket, one thats .038 to .042 thick, in fact I need some other stuff so I'll call ya.....

It coulda been worse. ;)
Believe me I live with similiar oversights all the time, frustrating it can get but it's good to hear about the overall progress.
I am still a long way from getting to the engine build on my project, maybe good news for me, all the bugs will be worked out, and Elmo will have found another 100hp by the time I get ready to buy a head! ;)
Hope your luck gets better and thanks for all the work 8)

Well, the plus side is if it ends up taking another 2 months for you to be ready to ship, I may be able to afford one by then :)

Back