Intakes almost ready - update 1-8 are READY

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
Was told today that the first batch of intakes (100 pieces) were cast last week, and they will be machining them on Monday. I plan to go down to L.A. next Wed (12-19) or Thurs (12-20) and pick them up. I also have a crate full of high capacity oil pans to pick up. Not sure if I can fit it all in the van, or if I'll need to rent a small U-Haul trailer, as it's going to be a full load. But to hear they are finally going to be done, made my day.

Also heard today, that the flange sets for the triple Weber intakes are being cut tomorrow, as they finished the programing this morning. Once cut, they will ship them over to the weld shop, which is a different company. I'm hoping they will have them all ready by Christmas, but will still need to have them polished (another four to five weeks). If all goes well, I'll have the fabricated polished aluminum triple Weber intakes in stock around the end of Jan. When I drop them off at the polishers, I need to talk them into doing three or four ASAP. Will needs one for the ice motor (like yesterday), I need one for my 66 coupe, and I have two customers waiting for theirs.

Its just nice to see it all finally come together after starting the project a little over two and a half years ago. Took a lot of patience and money, but we're almost there.

Yeah, but you have an intake I prepped - and isn't your car one of the fastest running ones yet? :p :LOL:

InlineUK":20bjzize said:
Thats good news Mike.
Will the oil pans fit a 250 motor?
Unfortunately, no. We have tried to get them made for a 250, but no luck yet. I can't wait for the day when I can set up my own shop and produce some of this stuff myself.

The foundry over nighted one of the intakes to me today for approval, so they can start machining on Monday. Note the vaccum port (which was moved back to its original location on top of the #6 runner due to a machining issue), freeze plug, and the water ports, all which were not on the proto type intakes.

I started stocking ARP header studs as of last week, which happen to work on the intake. So I'll be offering custom stainless steel and black oxide stud kits for the intakes as well. Installing the intake a piece of cake with the studs (much easier than bolts), plus they look great.

intakestuds5.jpg

intakestuds6.jpg

intakestuds2.jpg

intakestuds3.jpg

intakestuds4.jpg

intakestuds1.jpg

Cool!! :D :D

Got my head back from the machine shop yesterday so I'm almost ready for the new intake!

Later,

Doug

AzCoupe":1x3cbo68 said:
... and the water ports ...

So the intake can be heated by engine coolant like some of the Clifford intakes? Very cool! (er, I mean warm) That should significantly improve drivability in colder climates.

8)

No, no no! :stick: :LOL:

The temperature is REGULATED by the water.

Not too hot, not too cold. It's about maintaining the closest thing to "steady-state" operation possible.

addo":2etj7pct said:
No, no no! :stick: :LOL:

The temperature is REGULATED by the water.

Not too hot, not too cold. It's about maintaining the closest thing to "steady-state" operation possible.

Yeah, okay. I'll buy that. Of course the state that is held steady is one that is generally going to be a bit warmer than ambiant in any place I'd want to operate a motor vehicle, but that's okay. There is good reason for it to be that way in a carb'd vehicle's "wet" intake.

:)

It's a really important difference that unfortunately is being lost on a lot of people. I can see the water jacket as being worth a few MPG for longer commutes in hot places, and better cold-weather behaviour in cool climates.

My only concern is for Mike; that the outlet positions will allow clearance with early Falcon shock towers.

If clearances are to tight, there are options.

You could elevate the passenger side motor mount, tilting the engine just enough to gain a bit more clearance. Or you could dimple the shock tower or weld in a piece of round metal where required.

The freeze plug could be pulled and tapped, the sides pluged, and a new hole drilled and tapped on the bottom. If the clearance is only a problem with the front or back port, not both. Then you could put one where the freeze plug is, and use either the front or back port and plug the other.

However according to the measurements we took on Kelly's Falcon, and if we did our math correctly, it should fit. As the new intake is slightly narrower than the stock intake.

The core holes just below, were welded shut, otherwise we would have just used them and saved a couple bucks. However a lot of shock towers are angled outward, so we put the ports up as high as possible. The higher the ports, the better.

We thought about putting them on the front and back, but that would have required another jig for tooling, and a completely new setup. This would have doubled the maching cost. Considering that a lot of members plan to close them off and not use them, why add the expense for everyone. Especially when they clear in a majority of the applications.

I've done my homework, and made my choices with all things considered, not just one. So you needn't worry about me, but thanks for the concern. ;)

Thank you! The intake looks great and the stud kit is a great idea. I've alway's worried about stripping threads in aluminum. Too old to learn not to do that - LOL.

I'll be in line for ordering one, that's for sure.

Dean T

This makes me want to build a turbo 250 and put it in.....it doesn't matter, I just want to build one.

How well do you think the intake will fit on a fox body Mustang? It's hard to tell how much the carb is moved over.

Back