4V install clearance issues.

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
I thought I post some pics of the 4V installs some of our members are working on. Maybe they will chime in too, and give their comments.

The new intakes are working fine, but clearances to the shock towers are really close in some applications. On the 63 Falcon, which we used to test fit the proto types, we had plenty of clearance. Hence we figured we'd be OK. However it seems that the Falcons have more clearance than the 64-66 Mustangs. While I'm not sure how the 67-68 Mustangs will be, I'm assuming they will be OK since the engine bays were enlarged to allow big blocks.

Were also having clearance issues with the export braces, but only on the 4V installs. We are working on a few ideas, like the possiblity of producing a custom export brace for inline applications. This is something we've needed anyway, since all existing export braces and Monte Carlo bars are for V8 applications.

Anyway, the pics will explain it much better than I can.
http://classicinlines.com/AlumInstalls.asp

Try an Eldebrock 500 cfm , I beleve you will gain clearence and they are a great Street, Street Strip carb , and actually more suited to the usage than most 4160 series Holleys , Now before anyone thinks I am biased towards Eld Carbs , I am not , Just from experience I have found them more trouble free for the average tuner

The only problems (and they wernt big ones) I ran into was the interferance between the vacuum secondary housing and my Shelby export brace which I solved with a cut off wheel applied to said brace ;)

I shimmed the right motor mount with 4 half inch washers to tip the engine slightly to the left.

The Holley throttle linkage rubbed the intake slightly so I cut it off. Either Bill or Ric had the same problem but they ground on the intake slightly and solved it that way. I would do it the same way as they did if I had to do it over again. :oops: :oops:

You will have to convert to some form of cable throttle linkage. The standard rod linkage will not work in the stock position.

Dont forget to use anti seize on every bolt that goes into the aluminum head or intake. Especially the spark plugs.

I'm not running a hood so I cant comment on the hood clearance. I'm going to try an offset aircleaner base I found on the summit website with a 69 boss 429 hood scoop.

Later,

Doug

Doug, now that you have the clearance issue fixed.
How does the combination run, providing you don't have a weather problem. Bill

AzCoupe":hc5xlcrp said:
The new intakes are working fine, but clearances to the shock towers are really close in some applications.

I was making my once every few or several months check to see what the progress on the AL head was and came across this measurement issue as I was trying to figure out what I would need to order should I decide to go for it.

I have a '73 maverick, stock 250cid. What I wanted to do was get the head with street set up for valves and springs, intake, use a reliable 2bbl carb, and maybe get a header just so I don't have to unbolt the stock manifold and its rusted on fasteners. I'd leave the rest of the engine stock, including the cam unless I had to change it to make things work. Any help in what to pick out would be great... anyway I decided to go measure.

By my measurements it looks like there is 10 5/8" of space from the outside edge of the valve cover flange to the shock tower at roughly intake height. I measured 10 7/8ths from the inside edge of heat deflector plate under the carb (easy reference point) and then a 1/4" over lap between the valve cover flange and the deflector plate edge. Subtracting the overlap yields 10 5/8th.

With the 10.25in dimension given, that means there is a whole 3/8th clearance on a maverick. Looks like those heater hoses will have to be moved. Also that's not much room for any engine vibration. It looks like it will fit. I imagine there will be export brace interference issues with the carb or at least some carbs.

There looks like a good amount of hood clearance. From the head gasket to the top of the carb where the screw boss is for the air cleaner is about 10.5 inches just for the stock 1bbl.

Is there an oz intake manifold that doesn't stick out as far for 2bbl carbs?

Pics are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24179772@N ... 219862140/

So I thought I would add my two cents worth here.

I started the engine again with the new intake this evening. My approach was a little different and in some ways the same as Doug (Mustang Geezer) and Bill (Billr57). We all had the same issues with clearance at the lower intake plenum edge, the carburetor interfering with the cross-brace and hood clearance for the 4100 series Four Barrel Carbs.

LowerEdgeClearance.JPG

PlanBowlClrancePre.JPG

The differences between my install and the others were not only the orientation of the carburetor but the CFM rating as well. I will be running the Holley 4100 series 390 CFM perpendicular to the crank compared to parallel to the crank.

FinalCarbInstalled.JPG

Both Bill and I had the intake machined. The head-mounting surface of the intake was machined to remove .25â€￾. This was to help provide more clearance at the lower corner of the intake plenum at the shock tower as well as help move the carb away from the cross-brace. We also had .125â€￾ removed from the carburetor-mounting surface to help with the hood clearance issue.

Because of the orientation I chose and the smaller 390 CFM bore size, I was able to use this to my advantage. With the smaller bores of the 390 cfm Holley, the location of the carb on the adapter can be moved nearly .20" toward the engine and the bore will still clear the inside edge of the plenum. I redesigned the intake adaptor to move the position of the carb in relation to the manifold spacer. I chose flathead Philips screws so we were able to use a thinner, hardened, .3125" thick aluminum plate for the adapter.

PlateInstallWaterFittings.JPG

Because of these changes there will be just enough clearance from the corner of the float bowl to the cross member to keep from interfering when the engine torques.

BowlClerancePost.JPG

With the additional material removed from the intake at the carb mounting and the thinner adaptor plate I was able to lower the carb nearly .25â€￾ for hood clearance. The carb is sitting so close to the intake the lower portion of the throttle linkage had to be removed. Even with the material removed from the intake and the thinner adaptor plate the linkage just cleared the runner fins after the gaskets at the intake and the carb were installed.

LinkageClearance.JPG

So the final tuning and arranging of wiring and tubing can begin. At least I will be able to attend some of the events this year.

See ya’ll Nwestners at this years Pony Trails.

Here is a few photos of an edelbrock 4 bbl 500 cfm manual choke my buddy gave me to try on a 66 mustang with the alum. head., instead of the holley 465 cfm 4 bbl I bought a few months back. ( I will be trying an auto choke soon. It looks like it would fit with no problems but I will make sure later on and post some photos..) Performance wise, I do not know if Holley is better then edelbrock. People I talked to say that both carbs are better then the other. Who knows. I never ran either. I had a 2 bbl weber before this alum head modification. I did not run car yet. Just some photos for info of the carbs I have below. Photos were posted of the autolite and holley 4 bbl on the forum, I did not see any photos of the edelbrock carb posted on this forum.

The edelbrock 500 cfm 4 bbl carburetor is with the primaries on right side of car parallel to crankshaft. Not toward the valve cover, or perpendicular to the crankshaft. In my opinion, it looks like it will fit with more clearance then the holley. The holley has the fuel bowls that hang over an inch or more. You can see the edelbrock comes right to the edge of the adapter plate that came from classic inline. Some people had to modify the installation to fit the holley, and it looks like they did a fantastic job. Me on the other hand wanted to install things without to much modifications.

Photos are for info, only on Mikes alum head/milled intake flanges .25 inches. 200 cid 6 cylinder in a 66 mustang. This is the car with smaller engine bays where clearance is an issue.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... GP0139.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... GP0140.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... GP0143.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... GP0144.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... GP0133.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk12 ... GP0146.jpg

One problem that looked simple to fix, was the one arm of the throttle, in the front hits the intake. It looked like if you would take a 1/2 inch off of the arm, it would be okay and clear perfect. Or you could get a thicker adapter plate, to lift the carb up. That might give problems with the hood clearance to air filter. Not sure yet. That is another thing I have to check hood clearance, but it does not look like it will be a problem at all.

2nd photo is the only part that is close. It is below the factory support by more than a 1/4 inch. I do not see any problems with it below support. The engine will torque down, causing the part to go further away from support. Not an issue...

5th photo is the holley installed and primaries are toward the valve cover. Not a fan of the carb in this position for flow.... Carb plate or other items on the car, would have to be modified for this holley carb to fit with primaries on the right side of car parallel to crank . People have accomplished it, so it can be done...

Last photo is of the edelbrock carburetor installed. You can compare the two carb clearance from this photo and the 5th photo

Wcol

Have you tried the Carter/Edelbrock turned 180 degrees? The throttle arm may fall between runners and you would have better access to the manifold vacuum port.

Looks like your making progress. Good luck, Ric.

Installing it 180 degrees would put the primaries toward the valve cover...
Like I said in the post before, My opinion, I am not in favor of that position.

I think there is plenty of room to install vaccum hoses at the ports... in the position it is in now.(primaries toward the shock tower side) Also the fuel line is closer to the pump... Throttle linkage with cable set up, would be an easy hook up.
We shall see

Wcol

Dave,

Looks good! You can do what you want but I would just grind the throttle arm a bit vs raising the carb. Clearance will be tight as it is and every little bit helps! ;)

Interested in hearing how the carb works. Dont know anything about edelbrock carbs myself, just Holleys.

When do you think your going to get it running?

Later,

Doug

I am real close to firing it up and breaking it in. This cold winter is hard to work out in the Garage with no insulation and a kerosene heater.

1-2 weeks I should be ready to fire it up. I hope.

I will keep you posted

Thanks Doug

wcol

Back