Alan Johnson Cylinder Heads

powerjunkie

Anyone have one or heard about them? I Work at AJPE and want to know if you have used the six head. I haven't worked their long enough to see one in production so i have only seen pictures. I didnt even know that we made them until i got my truck with the 300 in it.

They are for racing only, no water jackets inside the head and require custom intake and headers as well as valve train. Last anyone can remember they were going for $9,000.00 bare. They are run by a few Comp Eliminator racers.

ya i asked my boss about them and he said if you want to screw around its gonna cost me about ten grand to fool around with them. i would assume that the rocker assembly is the same for our top fuel and alcahol heads, the rockers assembly is a few thousand in its self. all pretty cool stuff at Alan Johnsons!

I checked into them when they first came out several years ago. Figured I could whittle one out by hand out of an aluminum block myself for what they were asking :shock:

really a block of alu that big would be about 6G
at work we were going to take a job for a 5"x20"x30" just for that block it was around 7g, i think a 300 head is about 5"x8"x26" and cuting it.
if i were to buy/ make one i would cut air cooler fins to help some

I had no idea a block of aluminum was that high. It makes me wonder what they spent on Jay Leno's Corvette. In Popular Mechanics this month they state that the 8.2 liter hybrid fuel engine they made for Jay's Vette started as a 600 lb solid block of aluminum. It was a larger motor than the 427 in the Z06 Vette. The block was machined down to about 100 lbs. That is a lot of machine work. I wonder what that raw block would cost.
Doug

Well, I know if you were in Fredericksburg VA, a 600 lb block of aluminum would get you close to 300 dollars and a few raised brows going into the scrapyard. I'll have to ask how much they would take to part with a block that big next time I go.

An alum. wheel at the local scrappers up here goes for about 20 bucks right now. If the wheel is 10 pounds, 600 pounds of alum wheels would be $1200.

Holy crap, it's 2 bucks a pound where you're at..... it's only about 50 cent here. Copper's at 2 something a pound here!

myplague5":2xbonyz4 said:
Holy crap, it's 2 bucks a pound where you're at..... it's only about 50 cent here. Copper's at 2 something a pound here!

They're paying 200 bucks a ton for scrap steel, such as vehicles, and cat converters are about 80 bucks each! (because of the platinum in them)

I drive a 3-car flatbed wrecker, and I go around to various shops picking up totalled vehicles for the insurance companies to auction off at our yard. From what the guys at the shops tell me, a lot of people have been breaking in and cutting all the cats off the cars in their yards. A lot of alum wheels are being stolen too. Steal just 10 cats and you got yourself 800 bucks. It's crazy.

scrap in ohio is about to go up about 10cents a lbs
at work we got a quote for steel and they said it would only be good for apr. because its going to jump alot.

Back