Alum head fitment to a fox body

80Stang

I don't know if there are many instalments of the new alum head to a fox body, so I'll post some info of my setup. This is an original 200cid '80 Mustang with manual transmission (SROD), now with a T5.

Fitment of the head.
Fits with no issues. I used ARP studs for fastening and a vintage Fel-Pro print-o-seal head gasket. The exhaust positioning on the new head is exactly the same as with the log head so you can expect no problems there.

Fitment of the intake.
No problems there either. There is plenty of room to the RH side shock tower and no interference issues with intake or carb will be faced.

Air cleaner.
Here you'll find some troubles, but minor. 14" wide cleaners won't clear the shock tower, but 13" will. 3" elements won't clear the hood, but seems like 2" will. Ford Racing 13" x 3" was tested but did not clear the hood, with 2" element possibly would have been perfect. Anything smaller in diameter and max 2" element probably will work, and possibly other styles like oval or triangle elements might fit nicely too if not too high. I ordered a 4" air plenum from Jegs (part# 555-9849) with some 4" tubing and free flowing filter but they will not be here until in about 10 days.

Throttle cable.
Stock fox throttle cable will not reach the carb, so here you'll need to fabricate something or get a longer cable. I did an ugly temporary setup to get the car going, so more adaption is required in near future. The carb sits sideways which seems the best orientation for it in this case, just as I had the 2V on the log head. Primary bowl pointing towards the RH shock tower.

With very minor mods to 14x2" air cleaner it can be used in a fox body with this setup. Got this just tested and driven some 550mls. 13x2" would be the best.

Sweet! Thanks for the info.

When or if I am ever eventually order my aluminum head I intend to use a carb bonnet connected to fender cold air intake.

Back