Using the new head with...

Ronn

a 272 duration I/E 110 lobe C. Smith cam with this Holley 500 2 bbl and stock pistons (compression) work well? Is this too much cam?

You have left out a ton of info to make any kind of decision, one is cubic inches, the 250 handles more cam better than the 200, headers, etcjust for starts.

Ok;

73 Maverick
stock rear and gears
3 core radiator
AOD trans w/2500 stall
stock header
2 1/4" pipe all the way back with 12" resonator and flowmaster 50

basically everything is stock cept the cam,carb, trans and a fresh rebult 250 bored 20 over. Have'nt installed the motor yet. I have done a porting job on the log head as was condidering having it shaved 60 thou and having the log planed for the carb...but, since the alum heads are being made now..

I have been reading through most of the test results and such and am interested in going the alum route instead.

Also, what are the intake choices..still the aussie 2bbl?

Classic Inlines has a open plenum intake in which you can order with a adapter for a 2v or 4V, also available IIRC is a tripple weber intake.
In reference to the "stock header" you mean exhaust maniflod correct? I would get a good set of aftermarket headers, if you want the engine to breath in it also has to exhale aswell.

I must have my doubts you have really checked into the new AL head since you think the OZ intake is still the choice, oh well, since , you have still not stated your intended use I will try to supply some info on a subject pretty much beaten to death here, I doubt that you will get good results with the log head or new AL head with stock compression with the 274 cam because your dynamic C/R will be effected ever more and realized C/R will be somewhat low, for a good street job the 264 110 is an excellent choice, with the 500 holley and the New Al head, the only way to go if funds are available you will probably realize around 200 horses, with headers and a good ignition running a Y into your 2.25 exhaust pipe which will suffice, on the other hand to make good use of your stall converter, a 274 110 with 9.5-1 and open your exhaust a little and run some 1.6 rockers with a good ignition, I think you could easily realize 225 horses with the AL head you have a foundation for alot of variables and HP which the log head does not provide, for what its woth the AL head is the most HP for dollar spent, the log head has been the suffering of these engines for decades, unless they are highly modified with time and money.

Thanks 82F100, that sounds right on. Glad they are offering a matched intake for that head. Yes, still have stock exaust manifold:/. I do plan on a hooker or whatever single out header. Shame, looks as if Clifford is'nt making those for the maverick/250 anymore.

Broncitis,
Oh, ya, deff street use, not an everyday driver but occasional playtime.This has been awork in progress for I don'y know like 5-6 years. I ordered my cam, the 2 bbl adapter for the log and the exaust port divider for 3+4 from from here/ and clifford back then. The car has been parked and de-tagged for couple years now.

I was'nt sure about the ausiie intake, just wondering if it would bolt up is all.

I am using the AOD, it's on there already, bolted to the old motor. I already did the drive shaft shortening, cross member mods, throttle position linkage and lights all working great. Already have the duraspark 2 installed with accel 8.8 wires, autolite double platinums, and an msd blaster 2 coil.

I Have, been reading the posts about this alum head, and it's looking good, real good.

And I already have the cam I listed above, have'nt installed it yet.

So I guess that the Alum head would be a no brainer at this point:)

And about the compression ration, already read that this head can be shaved down to increase that..I understand the stock CR is 8.0 to 1. Does'nt shaving 60 thou raise that a point? Although I would be more inclined to shave the block instead due to 120 thou of extra deck height. Squench is a little funky with that. So, if I were to shave 80 thou off the block, that should put me at about 9.25 to 1 CR, and at the same time improve squench. Since I have the dished pistons, and a 450 overall lift, clearance should be fine correct?

I have seen what you have been building, with a blower and all, so this might be a bit old hat and beat to death, but I have been real busy, earning good coin daily myself for a few years and have had no time to work on this "project". Between buying my new home and Jeep, moving to Virginia, this is more like a "get me back up to speed" session.

Cylinder head Volume (CC) = 56.00
Piston Top Volume (CC) = 6.50
Cylinder Bore (Inches) = 3.7
Cylinder Stroke (Inches) = 3.91
Deck Height (Inches) = 0.060
Head Gasket Thickness (Inches) = 0.050
Computation Results:
Computed Compression Ratio is 9.5 to 1

Cylinder head Volume (CC) = 56.00
Piston Top Volume (CC) = 6.50
Cylinder Bore (Inches) = 3.7
Cylinder Stroke (Inches) = 3.91
Deck Height (Inches) = 0.060
Head Gasket Thickness (Inches) = 0.050
Computation Results:
Computed Compression Ratio is 9.5 to 1

You will have to determine these numbers to be true, but its a start.

Yes, those numbers look familiar;). I knew it was going to be thereabouts 9.2-9.5...atleast on par with the late 60's before it was reduced in the early 70's.

So I think that would be a good number to start with, maybe later going with the 2.3 pistons to raise it another point, I think I remember reading that a few years ago...or is it the 390 pistons? this is what got me stuck the last time is all the choices, me being indecisive.

Ronn":12ysc2a9 said:
Yes, those numbers look familiar;). I knew it was going to be thereabouts 9.2-9.5...atleast on par with the late 60's before it was reduced in the early 70's.

So I think that would be a good number to start with, maybe later going with the 2.3 pistons to raise it another point, I think I remember reading that a few years ago...or is it the 390 pistons? this is what got me stuck the last time is all the choices, me being indecisive.

The 2.3 HSC piston is the one you want if your looking for a flat top piston. You will be needing Premium fuel though :)

Later,

Sorry Ronn, my bad I had two computations and pasted two the same, geezer is right, but my opinion is keep the dished with the 250 and bring up compression by removing the deck, sorry I didn't cut much slack in the beginning, hang in there, if I can help, I will to the best of my knowledge, lets get ya goin, personally I am always conservative, but I think 250 horses will be yours.

This is going to be fun.

I just had a 95 Jetta GLX VR6 5 spd, thats a 2.8 litre overhead cam v-6 running at 175 hp...and it was fast, so to see 250 hp with the monster torque these 250 inlines give..I should be smoking those jetta's.

maverick is a bit heavier though, I think nearly 800 lbs, but still, with the off the line grunt and rear wheel drive, bye bye VW.

I have had this 20 lb bottle and 2bbl plate since I bought the new motor and am still going to use it..but only a 35-40 shot pilled down. I have the reg NOS silinoids, are there such a thing as a progressive set-up that will ease the spray in rather than a sudden on-off? I mean I can hook it up to the timing retard wire and all but still don't like the BOWAAAA effect of sudden on.

Should'nt effect the aluminum head I hope. I will most deff stay with the 2 bbl holley 500 since I have it tuned nice already.

Back