Where can I buy some of this new aluminium gear in OZ?

2v XLE

Who are the Australian distributors for the classic inlines gear in Australia?

I'm after a 4V manifold for my 250 2v - original oz head.

Then, later when i've got some spare $$$, i'll go the aluminium head.

Anyone got the answer to this?

Cheers

i dont know all the answers - AZcoupe would confirm - but i believe the Alum head inlet manifold has different(higher+ smaller) ports and thus wont match the orig oz 2v head.

having said that i have seen pics of the oz 2v manifold modded (ie cut/ welded etc) to take a four barrel carb , maybe pics are on this forum- cant rember.

modifying an oz one is something to consider as i bet with the crappy $AUD /$USD rate at the moment it would be 'cost effective' if you are retaining the oz head

brett
melb

Yeah, the ports are mismatched, but i was thinking of re-drilling it. I've seen a pic of the flange from a yank inlet manifold bolted to an oz head. The whole intake needs to be vertically raised about 1/4 inch. Achievable if a small strip of ally was welded to the bottom on the manifold flange to give more room to drill new holes along the bottom.

Sounds like a lot of work and $$$ as you said.

At his stage i could never see myself hacking up an original 2v manifold :shock:

I think i would cry, and people from all around would be lining up to crucify me!!

I've got one of those redline holley adapters that'll let me put a 4v carb on the 2v manifold, but in the end, its still trying to force a 4v carb to flow through the 2v ports on the original plenum. Its a 22mm spacer.

Is this going to affect the performance of the carb? Holley 465 that is.

the 2v manifolds pop up from time to time on ebay -

i picked one up 2 weeks ago for $50 AUD (= $30USD) at a swap in werribee- didnt even try to bargain the guy down!

if you change it to a 4 barrel manifold - the one i saw had the topcut off and an adapter flange welded on - not sure if they widened the plenum to fit - then it is possible to still bolt a 2 barrel back to the maniolfd if you change your mind.

there is a post on here from 'mustangaroo' back in 2004 where he got the 4v adapterplate and cut the top off the 2v manifold and welded it on - but post is so old the pics dont load any more.

search on 'mustangaroo' as auther and '4v' as subject

no real idea what the adapter would do to the 4v performance.

brett

The Oz intake and the ClassicInlines intake will bolt up just fine. The patterns are identical.
The problem is that the ports aren't exactly the same. #3 & #4 are off the most.
We ran our car with the Oz intake on the ClassicInlines alum. head for awhile and it ran fine. We left some HP on the table of course, but it ran.....in the 11's if memory serves.

Later,
Will

Thanks for the input, but i'm more concerned about putting a Classic inline 4v manifold on an orig. oz 250 2v head, and how it'll flow over mismatched ports.

This is what mike sent me:

yankinletman.jpg

I'm assuming its a weber manifold or a flange off one of the new manifolds against the ports on an oz 250 2v head. I'm not sure which ports these are, but how is this going to affect flow if its bolted up as it is?

I willl work better than you would think. If you have enough room, you can cut a plate of aluminum and sandwich it between the intake and head. You can blend one side to match the intake and the other to the head. Either way will be Okay till you get the Aluminum head.

Mraley and Billr57 both used 2V intakes till the 4V was ready. Billr57 ran the power tour with a unmodified 2V intake. He had great power and economy.

Had considered the aluminium spacer, BUT...

I havent got much more room then some of you guys here! It a 1974 ford cortina, and our main issues with these is brake booster clearance. I've already used a bracket from a later model corty, but as you can see from the pics below, the choke on the holley gets pretty close to the master cylinder.

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

Its not certain if i'm ever going to get an aluminium head. They are way expensive, and by the time i go through the complete process, I could build a pretty warm crossflow for what i'd have to spend here.

The main reason i'm looking at the 4v intake right now is so as i can get a holley 465 or 600 (depending which cam i choose) to fit under the bonnet. I dont want to mill an orig manifold because they are so rare, and to use a spacer plate would raise the carb too much. I've already raised the bonnet to fit the 500 under it. But the 4bbl carb would sit higher then the 500 because the spacer i have is nearly 1/2 inch bigger. Then, again its trying to flow through the original 2bbl ports on the intake plenum :unsure:

Here's a pic of how i raised the rear of the bonnet to clear the 500. The front closes fine, bu the rear is about 1/2 inch higher. It actually works quite well, because there is a mass of cool air trapped between bonnet/windscreen when travelling which now gets forced under a bonnet, similar to a reverse scoop setup.

IMG_0671.jpg

Time to start looking into a Crossflow conversion

Aussispeed does good 4BBL intakes for them and no brake booster issues

The pic above is an OZ250 Weber intake, fitted on the aluminum head.

Here's something to consider. The 1&2 and 5&6 ports are farily close, with the 3&4 being the worst, but since the 3&4 ports are always rich, the restriction might actually help to balance the flow between all six cylinders??

Also remember that the aluminum head ports are slightly smaller than an OZ head, so it may not be as bad as it looks. A little port matching may solve the problem, or most of it anyway.

thanks mike. after further investigation, unless they are available here in oz, i just cant do it with the exchange rate the way it is. it'd cost me over 600aud to have one shipped over.

not really feasible.

is there a distributor here in oz?

good, good. admittedly it may not be a huge market over here, but i thought if some of the gear is actually manufactured here as i have been led to believe, it should be too hard for a distributor to supply the odd head or intake.

cheers and keep up the good work 8)

if you have a servo pump in your car, replacing the vacuum booster with a hydrobooster and the servo pump with a more powerfull unit might be an option to get free space in the engine bay.

normaly these parts can be bought from at the junk yard for very little money, but you might have to fabricate some brackets.

stevexysupersix":61g4skva said:
AzCoupe":61g4skva said:
Not yet, but I've been talking with the owner of AussieSpeed. ;)
Hi Mike,

Just wondering if there was any update?

We've been talking more lately, and we've just about got things worked out. They will be selling some of my parts, and I'll be selling some of thier stuff here in the USA.

AzCoupe":2ck2mlzr said:
We've been talking more lately, and we've just about got things worked out. They will be selling some of my parts, and I'll be selling some of thier stuff here in the USA.
oooo.... any word on what?

AzCoupe":241j8mhf said:
stevexysupersix":241j8mhf said:
AzCoupe":241j8mhf said:
Not yet, but I've been talking with the owner of AussieSpeed. ;)
Hi Mike,

Just wondering if there was any update?

Mike,
See if you can get some of their manifolds for the Crossflow head. $450 AUD/$400 US is steep enough, let alone the shipping costs to the States!

The Aussiespeed manifolds are awesome for balanced cylinder flow.

I can get anything they sell, and can ship the parts at a decent price. Just let me know the part numbers? ;)

I can also get Pacemaker headers for a crossflow, if you need them too?

Back