Carb Option

Quick 8

Has anyone seen this carb before?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

It is Summit Racing Part Number SUM-M08600VS

It appears to be a knock-off of the Autolite 4100 carbs, but uses Holley jets, etc.

This might be a good option for use on the aluminum head. With the vacuum secondaries and annular discharge boosters, it should still run good at low RPM while allowing a lot more flow on top end.

What do you think??

-Jim

it's a holly 4010 replica.
unfortunatly 600cfm is about 100-150cfm more then i need :-(
i looked at those too.

true, that's why i went for the pony carbs 480cfm spreadbore carb.

the 600cfm was designed for a 302

I agree. You have a great carb. But at $520, that's a bit too steep for me. The Summit carb is only $250.

i was thinking about the price tag as well before i placed the order, so i understand you.
by the way, you can still put the 300$ into a head job at a later time, so you can make use of the extra cfm ;-)

I agree. It does look the same as the Holley 4010. Summit claims to have put in a lot of "development work" on this carb though. I don't know if that's true or not, but it makes me wonder what they did?

FWIW, David Vizard (Performance Engine Guru) claims in his Carburetors and Intake Manifold book, that he tested one (4010) on his dyno and "Top end horsepower matched a 4150 series 650 and low end beat it by as much as 10 ft-lbs." No doubt this is largely due to the annular discharge boosters.

I'm still not sure if this would be the way to go though. Another option rather than the Summit Carb is to just go with the Holley 4010. Again though, I'm not sure how much Summit's "development work" is worth?

I was given a Holley 4011 that I have never run on anything. From just visual inspection I like the design. Everything is easy to get to, the adjustments make sense, there is no need for a crazy number of fasteners, and I like the idea of no gasket below the fuel line. Basically I see it as all the benefits of an Autolite 4100 combined with Holley main jets, and in the case of the 4011 a spreadbore design.

I have not seen the new Summit carb in person. Maybe they just got the Holley patterns and are making then under the Summit name now? The price would sure look good for a new carb if I needed one; maybe too good...

this might be usefull for the high performance guys that think about putting a 600cfm carb on their inline six and know how to clean up the casting imperfections.

i guess if you would send one of these to pony carbs to have it smoothed and cleaned up, you would pretty much end up at 500$+ as well.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=70103

Good link! That shows some details very well. Most of the manufacturing "flaws" he points out are much smaller than the ones on my two 450CFM 4160s I have, and they are probably 30 years old! Going through a carb and cleaning it out and cleaning up casting flaws is aways a good idea. I've never seen one that didn't need some work.

I'm REALLY interested in hearing how that carb worked. It is interesting to hear that is is made by Holley for Summit too.

grendi_250ci":1e6ysxo5 said:
this might be usefull for the high performance guys that think about putting a 600cfm carb on their inline six and know how to clean up the casting imperfections.

i guess if you would send one of these to pony carbs to have it smoothed and cleaned up, you would pretty much end up at 500$+ as well.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=70103

Part 2 of the carb review is up now, too. Here is a link.

Summit Carb Part 2

Use the link in the first post in that thread which connects you to this:

Summit Carb Review - UPDATED!

Thanks for the heads up on that. I can't wait for the conclusion. If it ends up working good, I may have to get one.

I am convinced that I need an annular discharge booster carb. Everything I read on them sounds like they are far superior to others.

Check this article out:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/11 ... ndex1.html

In that test, the annular carb put out more horsepower than the down leg carb at every RPM. It averaged 11 more horsepower, and at low rpm put out 33 more horsepower!

Everything I read has similar results. The annular carbs have better drivability, and put out much more horsepower at low and mid-range RPM.

Let me know if the conclusion to that Summit carb review gets posted.
Thanks.

Back