200 buid up with dyno

ap-engines

I just finished building a 200 w/ the aluminium head for a customer.
-Eagle 302 rods (5.090 long)
-.787" diameter Casidium coated wrist pins
-Custom CP forged pistons
-1.5mm top and second rings and 3.0 mm oil rails
-Custom ground Comp Extreme Energy cam
-1.6 ratio rockers
-Unsrhouded reworked CI head
-Holley 470 cfm Truck avenger carb
-3-2-1 header (customer supplied, not sure of the brand, but really nice)
We had to make some adapters for the dyno, seems Super Flo didn't foresee Ford I6s on there dynos very often
The limiting factor is the cam. We didn't want to sacrifice idle quality, so it may be on the small side. The goal of the project was to modernize the engine as much as possible, but still have an "Old School" look.
The compression is only 9:1, so it is 87 octane friendly. This engine is going in a '66 Bronco.
It made 207hp and 215 lb-ft torque. The idle was pretty mild, but noticable. The 112* lobe LSA helped smooth things out. I am very pleased with the outcome, given its intended use.
I would love to build one of these with 11:1 comp and 10* more duration :D

Here are some vids:

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to cool, I am so glad to see these Al heads being put to work and another in a bronco, your customer will absolutely love it , great job with mild cam.

If you look at the header you'll see that there is a piece of 2" diameter flex pipe to devert the exhaust. On the last pull at 4800rpm the pipe drooped just enough to blow into the dyno water tank. It blew water every where! Needless to say, it scared me and the dyno operator sh*tless. Pretty funny afterwards. :LOL:

AP, very nice presentation.

With all the extensive mods such as a bulletproof longer rods, custom forged pistons, was this engine designed for a turbo down the road????

You mention a mild camshaft from comp cams, would you share the specs with the rest of the forum???

I know the longer rods will give some more top end power, but if this application is for a naturally aspired engine only wouldn't you use the stock rod length for more low end?

The custom pistons you used is the wrist pin centered or offset???

The stock cast dished pistons have the wrist pin offset .062" where the flat top tempo pistons have the wristpin offset .090".

I complement you on a very professional design of componets.

The dyno #'s look super. Six cylinder economy with V-8 performance.

I'm sure your customer will love his bronco with this engine. Bill

Thanks Bill.
I must admit some of the custom stuff may have been overkill, but I am fortunate enough to have a customer who allowed me a blank canvas. I build Ford NASCAR engines for my daytime job, so sometimes I get carried away.

The longer rod may have hurt torque a bit, but I like to run long rods in most every thing that I build. From a cost stand point, if you look at the cost of a set of ARP rod bolts and the labor to resize and bush the stock rods you actually save money with the Eagles.

I am also a big fan of low drag "metric " rings. Total Seal made me a set of conventional 1.5mm top, 1.5mm second and 3mm oil rings. The OEM guys have been using this type ring since the lat '90s. I wanted to reduce friction and this is a great way to do it.

The piston are from CP. They are actually Indy Racing League forgings :) .
The pin is centered, which usually works best for performance engines. I have heard of off setting the pin for power, but every time I've seen it on the dyno it didn't make a measurable differance. A lot of OEM offset is used to help quiet piston noise. These are just my experiances, I'm sure others feel like off set is great.

The .787 pins...... Well they were readily available, super strong and kept me from having to use a spacer ring with the short compression height piston like a stroker 302 uses.

The cam is a custom ground Comp part. 218*/ 224* 106* intake centerline with 112* seperation angle. The 112*LSA kept the idle smooth, but hurts peak power a bit. Idle was VERY important to the customer. A 108* LSA would make this thing a completely differant animal. I would say it may have made 20 more hp, but idle would be terrible.

As for the turbo, I wish. This thing is begging for boost!

Bill, I appreciate your tech savvy and questions. This has been a great build and lots of fun, although it has taken me waaay longer than what I would have liked it to have taken. If you read this Raymond, Sorry but I think you will enjoy driving this little six.

Actually i was suprised at the camshaft specs.

When you said mild i was looking for something in the 210-212 @ .050.

Did you ever run a cranking compression on the engine???

With that low of compression ratio i would expect 165-170 #'s

I run 195# with my combination using flat top pistons With 10.5 compression with a 224 cam @ .050.

Yes i need premium fuel.

The duration of the cam you used will keep the pressure low enough for regular fuel.

Unfortunately to use a camshaft with .550" lift you will need longer valves to achieve the proper spring installed height.

Like you said, do not try to get extra installed spring height by spot facing the intake valve spring seat.

Unfortunately the head was not designed for a super high lift camshaft in the .550-.600" lift range.

The flow potential is there but the casting is super thin to get the spring installed height to what you need to use this head without going to longer valves. Bill

The 112* LSA really mellows things out. No, I haven't chrcked cranking PSI, but the 112* LSA causes less over lap thus increseaing cranking PSI.
I'd say you are really close on the cranking PSI estimate. My customer really wanted a cam in the110*-112* range, but I felt it was a waist with that great head.
The worst thing about the longer valves is rocker geometry with the shaft rocker. Geometry may not be too bad, I guess it is just a matter of trial and error.
Like you, I really wanted to lift in the .600 range. Unfortunatley with my duration restrictions, I couldn't find a cam with steep enough ramps to get me there or a spring to allow for that lift.

Keep me posted on your build!

AP I think you are going to bring good things to these little sixes, I hope you get more business, I had a good machinest in my area, but no one with outside the box thinking, I'm impressed with doing rather than talking and I like your style.

One other note with custom cams, bullet cams seems to have the largest selection of blanks, crane nor comp made me happy with a custom cam profile from their selection of blanks.

Thanks Broncitis! The aluminum head is the biggest step for these little engines. All of that cool bottom end stuff wouldn't make a differance with out that head.

On the cam selection subject... bullet has alot of good profiles. Some how I didn't even think of them. The lobes that I picked came out of the Comp "Master lobe profile Catolog"

Ap have you looked at the Comp Cams Extreme Energy grinds for the small block Fords? Though they are set up for v-8's I think they fall right inline with what some are trying to build. I have the 262 cam in my 300 for my pinto.

AP- disregard my above post I skimmed over your original post and didn't see the cam, looked it up in their catalog basicaly yours is on a 112 instead of the 110. 8)

Hey, ap. Why don't you list your 20. Then people could pm you if they have a question or need work. I don't think your location only qualifies as an advertisement. 'Cause that is some cool stuff you're doing.

Moderator?

Back