Noob with questions

sortafast

OK, long story short: have a clean 66 mustang in the garage with 200ci I-6 in it. Already did the T-5 swap and plan to do a whole lot more as we can afford (it the wife's car none the less). At the top of the list and the first thing is to get some more hp out of the motor. So I want to get one of these Aluminum heads and go fuel injection. Problem is, I am not so much in the know about this. But a friend of mine has an almost complete fuel injection set up off a chevy small block that I can get for a song (or a rifle scope for that matter). I just need to know if it would be worth it to and if it would be able to work? So far from what I have gathered, I am about 90% sure that I could at least use the TB off of it, making it well worth my time and rifle scope. Here is a pic of said TB:

DSC03093.jpg

Looks like it has 42mm or so butterflies on it. It has the injectors and all of the sensors (to my knowledge) except for the O2 which is no big deal. So what say every one? Is it compatible with the intake? Or would my time and energy be better spent elsewhere instead of trying to make it work? I think this is the same or similar TB that someone else here did up. Any help would be appreciated as I am getting in a little over my head at this point, but I think I can swing it. Getting all giddy about building this thing up and making a little monster out of it.
Thanks,

Dave

Don't know much about it, but if you get the computer, the wiring and it fits the intake, I say go for it. One thing about it you have to start somewhere. Everyone w/TBi says they are great. If it doesn't work throw a Holley or an Autolite on it.
Although this replay doesn't give you any value, I just thought I would chime in. Good luck :D

You'll need an adapter for the throttle body injection unit. Transdapt has them.

They make several versions. Model number 2210 is listed as one of the ones to center the TBI over the center of the opening as opposed to either the rear or the front of it.

Summit racing has them. Here is a link to the center mount model mentioned above:

Trans-Dapt Performance Products 2210

From the product description:

Summit Racing":2wk7hwsm said:
TBI Adapter, 3-Bolt TBI to Square Bore Carbureted Manifold, Aluminum, .250 in. Thick, Gaskets, Hardware, Kit

Make your TBI unit fit your carbureted manifold.
Trans-Dapt Performance throttle body to carburetor adapters allow you to mount a OEM or Holley TBI unit on most any manifold, saving you the expense of buying a different manifold. Made from high-quality cast aluminum, these adapters provide a smooth transition from the throttle body to the intake manifold for trouble-free operation.

Some additional adapters are also available depending on what might work best for your set up. Check out the link HERE to see some of them.

Oh, and I'd suggest some sort of cable throttle setup.

sweet guys, thanks for the in put. I will grab it from my buddy. It has everything except an O2 sensor, but that isn't a big deal. I still have a long ways to go (mostly financially) before I can get everything together, but a little at a time can't hurt. I really can't wait to get this motor built and burn the rubber off the tires :eek: .

Now that I am not racing against the clock on my thermal event on my computer, I'll explain a little more of my eperience on the gm throttle body, if you look at some of the early versions of my build with extrudabody under check this out , you will see they mounted it cross wise and with multiport injection #3 always leaned out because one of the bores was right over #3, it ran about 500 while all the other cylinders were about 250-300, once I had a machinest make a 1 inch 5x6 piece of aluminum with the throttle bores all the way back on the intake away from the engine it evened out the cylinders dramatically, but if you are spraying above the throttle plates with a tbi it may not be as sensitive to correct air as multiport injection, I really think someone with mega squirt experience could make a tbi run really well, my experience with multiport is phenominal, one note if I may be so bold, I think if I had to do this all over again, I would go with mega squirt whether it be the build are basically ready to program, it is alot cheaper and the expense I paid for smart tune technology with retrotek speed is more like you tune technology, it works fine, except it is no where near as easy as advertised. I look forward to someone tuning out a gm TBI with enthusiasum

I have to back up here and come clean on an issue with retrotek speed since my last post here, I recently aquired a problem with programs and tuning and was blaming it on retrotek and as of last night have found that it was a fuse I put in line on the heavy positive wire on my MSD that was causing all my timing and tuning issues, after speaking with MSD and them telling me this was the issue, I did not believe it until I hooked it up straight to the battery and all issues went away, after thinking about it and using some electrical knowledge, I figured that the MSD electronic must be very sensitive with its amperage draw and if you think about it a fuse is based on a resistance to flow or ohms that create a certain amount of heat at a specific voltage and current that make it blow, very sensitve electronics can pick up these fluctuations on amperage draws, then I asked why I didn't have problems in the begiining and the guy said sometimes its ugly head doesn't show at first are all the time and assured me if I hooked directly to the battery my problems would be resolved and he was correct..

Back