Finally finished. HOOOOORAAAYYYYYY!!!

RPMustang

My thanks go out to Mike & everyone else who helped & advised us.
Without your help, this would have taken a whole lot longer.

We finally finished installing the C.I. head on my son's 66 200 C.I. Mustang coupe.
With minimal tuning & adjusting, we managed to get the car running & idling smoothly.

For everyone's amusement & entertainment I posted pictures documenting every step of the way on my website.
Mike, Feel free to copy any of the pictures and use them any way you see fit.

http://www.Robaldo.com/ProjectAluminum

Thanks again. Inline is SO fine!
Lance.

Very nice! Congrats, and thanks for sharing! I wish I could do that to my engines (budget says "no", for now!).

You ask for it, you got it! :beer:

Here's a video of the engine idling (and going VROOM VROOM): (y)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q11EJa6tkQ

This was before we got the timing and carb dialed in, so it's idling a little rough.
Once we get it all tuned, I'll post another video.
And maybe I'll include a little burnout if we can manage it! (albeit a 1 wheeled burnout)

Lance.

i can't wait for my built to get finished....
where did you get the carb hat?
i ordered a bunch of low profile air cleaners for mine, but i'm not shure that one of them will fit :roll:

That's a Spectre #98499 low profile plenum sitting on the carb. I don't know how much clearance it has on other years/models, but it seems to have plenty of clearance on my 66 Mustang coupe.

You can't really tell in the picture, but the screw in the center of the plenum extends about 2" above the plenum and still doesn't hit the hood. (I haven't gotten around to cutting it to size yet)

My problem is routing it to the cold air side of the engine. The plenum sits slightly lower than the top of the valve cover. I need a spacer to lift it so I can route the pipe over the cover, but not so high that it contacts the hood. I suppose I need to get some clay and find out just how much clearance I have so I can buy/make the correct height spacer.

I HOPE I have 4"+ clearance above the valve cover, otherwise I'm not sure how I'm going to route it. For now it's ok over the battery, but I really would like to get it routed over to the cold side of the engine bay.

Lance.

RPMustang":13hs9hx7 said:
... My problem is routing it to the cold air side of the engine. The plenum sits slightly lower than the top of the valve cover. I need a spacer to lift it so I can route the pipe over the cover, but not so high that it contacts the hood. I suppose I need to get some clay and find out just how much clearance I have so I can buy/make the correct height spacer.

I HOPE I have 4"+ clearance above the valve cover, otherwise I'm not sure how I'm going to route it. For now it's ok over the battery, but I really would like to get it routed over to the cold side of the engine bay. ...

Have you checked to see if there is room to run it in front of the valve cover instead of over it? It may be that you could use a 90 degree elbow with some couplers and straight sections to route it forward and then to the left across the front of the engine rather than trying to go over the top of the valve cover.

You might also check to see if you can route it to a hole in the radiator support using a flexible hose and have an air filter up behind the grill, or down low behind the front valance pan or the bumper or something.

Alternatively maybe neck it down to a 3" tube and run that over or in front of the valve cover. A 3" tube should be large enough to provide air to that engine, I would think.

Very nice and clean looking job! I've been reading the Falcon Performance Handbook over and over, collecting my thoughts. You essentially have what I want to end up with.

I have several questions, if you'd entertain them, that'd be great...

- Had you rebuilt your bottom end fairly recently or ever?
- What did you use for the throttle cable setup?
- Did you have to mill the surfaces on the intake to head to avoid the shocktower?
- What spring/valve combination did you go with?
- What cam is in there?
- What radiator is that?
- Do you notice a difference? :)

Thanks,

I'll answer to the best of my ability.

We were going to install the head 5 months ago, but just before we could, the car was in an accident. We're just now finishing up rebuilding the front end. I have pictures of the "restoration" at http://www.robaldo.com/ProjectLazzarus

- Yes, the entire engine had been through a complete rebuild 3 or 4 months prior to the accident.

- We went with the Lokar pedal and throttle cable setup. It's pretty much a bolt-in.

- No, we did not mill the flanges on the intake or head, but with hindsight, it might have been a good idea. We did have to "precussion engineer" the shock tower about 1/4 inch near the bottom of the intake manifold to get it to fit.

- We went with the assembled "Basic Street Head" which uses 184/150 valves. We had him install the SSI-302-SPG springs. I figure we can always do more in the future, but once metal is removed, it can't be put back. So were being conservative until we see what it can do now. Then we'll look at going with larger valves, smaller chambers, etc...

- for now, we stayed with the stock cam - again I want to see where it is now before making more changes. I like to keep my variables as low as possible. If I change several things at once, I won't really know which parts are helping, and which parts are hurting performance.

- The radiator is a 2 row aluminum radiator with 1" rows. We got it from MustangSteve.com. It has the intake & return outlets in the correct place for the inline 6. It does a great job keeping things cool!

- Finally, it's too early to tell, it's only been driven around the block once on a test drive and as tempting as it was, we didn't punch it any. It does feel a lot stronger, even on that leisurely 20mph cruise, but I can't say for certain until we get it out on the open road. I still want to take some time and play with the idle mix & timing to see if I can get it to smooth out just a bit more before I start pushing to see what it can do.

RPMustang":chqhfss5 said:
That's a Spectre #98499 low profile plenum sitting on the carb. I don't know how much clearance it has on other years/models, but it seems to have plenty of clearance on my 66 Mustang coupe.
Grendi,
If you're looking at the Spectre plenums, don't go off the specs/dimensions listed on their website. I ordered the #9849 (not low profile) and should've had clearance. They list the overall height at the carby end as 3.5in, in reality it is just over 4in and enough to give me grief when I tried to close the bonnet. Other dimensions were marginal.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51 ... G_2009.jpg

ARGH!

Yes, I know the 9849 is too tall. I tried it and had to return it. The 98499 however, fits with PLENTY of clearance.

Lance.

stevexysupersix":1f3hnj9p said:
RPMustang":1f3hnj9p said:
Grendi,
If you're looking at the Spectre plenums, don't go off the specs/dimensions listed on their website. I ordered the #9849 (not low profile) and should've had clearance. They list the overall height at the carby end as 3.5in, in reality it is just over 4in and enough to give me grief when I tried to close the bonnet. Other dimensions were marginal.
"If you're looking at the Spectre plenums, don't go off the specs/dimensions listed on their website."

All I was trying to say.

I too would've had plenty with the 98499 but it didn't suit my application. Had to order the 9849 in at my local, meaning I don't have the refund/exchange luxury, so I'm stuck with it.

thanks for the info.
as i have a 250cid engine, i wouldn't even consider getting anything else but low profile.
currently i still hope that one of the low profile air cleaners will fit.

I have an account with Spectra, so any time you guys want something let me know and I'll order it. I thought about stocking their low profile carb hats, but all they have is four inch. Personally I think a three inch would be better suited to our applications, so I may decide to make one. If so, I'd make it longer, so the oval part goes out over the valve cover before transitioning to the round inlet, for better hood clearance.

AzCoupe":1djhfq8l said:
I have an account with Spectra, so any time you guys want something let me know and I'll order it. I thought about stocking their low profile carb hats, but all they have is four inch. Personally I think a three inch would be better suited to our applications, so I may decide to make one instead. If so, I'd make it longer so the oval part goes out over the valve cover before transitioning to the round inlet, for better hood clearance.

Yeah good idea mate!
Mine's in being modified ATM and I'm having the inlet reduced to 3in

Back