Project: Black Hole (1969 Mustang, 250CID)

grendi_250ci

Supporter 2021
Now that i finaly got my new airbox, i would like to present you my car and engine

Specs:
1969 Ford Mustang with 250CID L-Code engine
0.03 overbore
flattop pistons

head:
ACH-250-BSH, chamber size 58cc

camshaft:
CSC 264-12 DHS

full roller rockers:
YTA-200-FRR

pushrods:
Trick Flow TFS-21409000

bearing: Clevite MS979P10, tri metal TM-77

carburator:
PCA-480-4SB

airlcleaner:
ProCharger AM006A-001, low profile plenum
Spectre Performance 9833, aircleaner box (SPP-RAF-ICF)
Spectre Performance 9741, black air ducting
Spectre Performance 8704, 3" hose clamps

aircleaner makeshift:
ProCharger AM006A-001, low profile plenum
Spectre Performance 8136, P4 cone air filter blue (SPP-RAI-CAF, tall, blue)
Spectre Performance 8771, 3" coupler with hose clamps (SPP-RAI-COU, black)
Spectre Performance 8429, 3" Aluminium 22 deg. elbow

headers:
Clifford Perfomance 53-2112, black ceramtic coated

linkage:
Lokar TC-1000HT36, throttle cable, cut to size
Lokar SRK-4000, mounting bracket an springs
Lokar KDP-20C4HT, kickdown cable C4

distributor:
DUI-200-CIK

Flexplate: TCI Auto 529615 (Performance Automatic PAX30213 DOES NOT FIT the stock torque converter)

Starter: Powermaster 9103

1_longblock.JPG

2_loghead.JPG

3_old_carb.JPG

4_enginebay.JPG

5_disassembly.jpg

6_machined_block.JPG

7_machined_intake.JPG

we had to mill away the backside of the intake to clear the shock towers.

8_head.JPG

9_assembly.JPG

10_carb_installed.JPG

11_aircleaner.JPG

12_back_inside.jpg

the filter looked cool, but was way to high

13_makeshift.jpg

i had to get a makeshift because the spectre airbox was out of stock when the engine was finished.

14_final_solution.JPG

i finally got the airbox and could replace the open spectre airfilter witch is illegal in our country.
if you look at the hood, you can see a cutout. we had to make room for the plenum.

15_hood_poped.JPG

16_my_stang.jpg

i'm planing a dyno run, but first i might need to get a new ring and pinion for my 8" rear end.
currently i have 2.79:1 and i was planing on getting 3.25 - 3.55 because i want to get a AOD, maybe with wide ratio gears.
any advice? the car is only street driven.

Get the Dyno first. Make sure you’re tuned and use the torque data to decide on the gear ratio.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on ratio, Ric.

Yes I would be very keen to see the dyno figures on your rig.

Yes you did, it's the randall power rack and pinion.
everything is bolt in, no welding, no cutting on a 69 mustang, and it uses the original steering column without modification.

pros:
-no play
-precise steering possible
-no welding, no cutting
-looks like it could have been stock

cons:
-bigger turning radius
-you have to turn the wheels back to straight after making a turn.

most r&p share the same cons.
i just was at the sema show and flaming river claims, their new r&p has more travel then any other product on the market so the turning radius stays the same. i don't know if this is true, or just marketing BS, but their system need a new steering column that is apart of the kit.

would i buy it again?:
i would get an r&p again, but i'm not sure what product. a few new products have been release to the market, and some of the existing ones got better.

Well the R&P would replace a POS Flaming River box. I bought it new at NPD and the steering changed absolutely ZERO. The car had/has just a huge amount of play in it. I had already replaced all the other linkages and what not. I got it aligned this summer at this place that has an outstanding reputation for alignment work. The tech told me as I picked up my car that he had noticed all the new steering components along with the Granada disc brakes. He then asked why I didn't replace the steering box to make my steering right and said the box was a "piece of junk". I told him it was a FR and it had less than 3K miles on it. He just shook his head and said, "WOW!". So I doubt I'll buy Flaming River sh!t again.

Thanks for the heads up on the R&P issues. One of my pet peeves is loose/wandering steering; and the Mustang's drives me nuts. I had heard that the R&P kits increase the turning radius but I didn't know if it was noticeable. Sounds like it is. And the fact that it doesn't return to center is surprising too. That's definitely not good. Does it fail to return because it's a power unit? I'm sticking with manual BTW.

the turning radius is only an issue if you have tight parking spaces.
turning back the wheels manually is no big problem, but as far as i know, not related to power or manual.

the play of some steering boxes can be adjustet. did you try to readjust the play of your flaming river steering box?
you won't end up with zero play, but it might get you to a point where it's acceptable.

Yup, did all kinds of adjustments. It never helped really. I tried to loosen the jam nut and tighten the screw either a 1/16 or 1/8 turn at a time. Nothing changed really. I even over tightened it once but quickly backed it off so not to damage the internals. Oh well.

Good to know about the return issue. I have Granada wheels on the front and I don't know if the added weight and contact patch would negatively effect the steering. Personally the turning radius is too large for the size car in my opinion. I have a '68 Pontiac Catalina (B-body) and it has a tighter turning radius. Have you had any issues with the larger turning radius such as trying to park in parking lots or public garages?

sure i had parking issues, but i live in switzerland, most parking spaces are tighter, but most of the time i can handle them.

beeing unhappy with the performance, i got a new duals 1.75" exhaust from CI:
17_exhaust.jpg

the first impression is great, unfortunatly, i only could do a short testdrive before the winterbreak.

more info will follow in spring :)

So have you had that beautiful Machine out and on the road? How does it handle and what is the performance like? That is a sweet ride!

Your kit was one of the first ones made for a 69 Mustang. Unfortunately they didn't have a car to do an actual install on, so they had to use measurements from a V8 and guess at the modifications needed for the six. We rarely get any feedback from customers, so we have no idea what modifications are needed for a better fit. If you could send me an email with any of the details you remember about the install (modifications you had to make), I will forward the info to them. I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

Back