Carb Heating?

Explorer

The two 1/2" outlets on the large flat portion of the intake below carb. What are these used for? Can't seem to find reference to them. Finished engine this spring and run all summer, but with cold weather I'm wondering if they are for heating intake.

Appreciate that. Engine is running too cool in this cold weather(160 degrees cruising). I think it might help with the hesitation.

Are you using a 160 T stat? Maybe switch to a 180 - 192 would help some :unsure:

190 degree thermostat, aluminum radiator and air dam. I wanted to keep it cool, but did a little too good. She ran 185 degrees even on the hottest day's this summer. Most it ever hit was 190 stopped in traffic.

Do you have a warm air stove pipe hooked up to air cleaner?

No. It's the vehicle in my sig line, running header and an aftermarket air cleaner. Only air cleaner I could fit under the hood. Air cleaner space is even more limited than on a Mustang.

Well maybe you could pull the fan off for the winter. My Daughter lives by Newport News, Va. said they had a little snow :unsure:

The water flowing thru the base is to help maintain a constant temp in the carb. It heats it to prevent icing in cool, humid weather and prevents the carb from getting too hot at the other extreme.

Removing it often results in driveability issues on the 1100/1101 carbs.

Yea, that's why I'm checking. No issues till cold weather set in. Then I was watching some threads about carb heating on the 300ci engines using the Holley 390 like mine and Offy intake. Similar configuration.

When we were designing the intake, everyone told me to forget about the hot water passages, including the pattern maker and the foundry. They all said it wouldn't be needed, or used, on most motors since the intakes would only be used on performance motors, or on cars that weren't driven during the colder months. Hence they felt it was just a waste of money. However, I stuck to my guns..... explaining that the water passages were not only used to heat the intake during cold weather, but more importantly, they were needed to keep the intake cool on hot days. I usually got a funny look, that is until I reminded them that the intake manifold was less than an inch above the exhaust manifold and/or header, which obviously gets much hotter than the water temps. ;)

I've often wondered if it would help 1/4 mile times, if the hoses were hooked up to a cool can full of dry ice and water/alcohol. Would it chill the intake enough, to add a measurable amount of horsepower?

Back