going to buy the aluminum cylnder head.

68_sixpeashooter

Hello everyone,

I've been on the hunt for a new cylinder head and I found a few but I think I'm just going for the aluminum cylinder head from classic inlines. I've heard good stuff about it. Its not even that expensive compared to cylinder heads on other websites.I'm just not sure how much of a horsepower gain I would be looking at. Anyone have any idea? I'm going to buy the d.u.I ignition, dual out headers, and the 2v weber 32/36 carb. Also I'm considering the dui Mini-VIP Voltage Booster. How much hp gains will I be able to see?

Thanks,

looking at the dyno run list, #4 (carb with Alu. Head, and #9 carb with Modified stock, are basically the same. Obviously there is more room for improvement with the aluminum head, but depending on what you want to do with the car vs what these motors are capable of... well two grand vs a couple(five) hundred in working over the stock head for the same gains... sorry, dont mean to criticize or rain on parades, just the first time Ive really paid attention to the side by side results.

While I see your point, look at the differences in the builds .

The aluminum has a lighter cam, slightly smaller carb and a lower torque peak than the modified log. Given the log runs a c4 instead of a stick , which evens it out. The other huge difference is compression difference.

Not trying to argue constructive criticism, just shedding light on differences between the two.

Pick up the October issue of Mustang Monthly and you can see my build and dyno results. I am going to check the advancement of the cam. Also install a 4bbl Holley in the next few weeks. I should be able to pick up a good amount more. Mike and the guy from Clay Smith cams sayed I could pick up another 20-50 HP just my the cam. That is if it is advanced more then 4 degrees. We also did a dyno run after my install of a T5 it should be in another issue soon. It maybe advanced too much more then 4 degrees. If you have any question let me know. I would be glad to help and with what I have learned.

Oh I know the Aluminum head will run better, and has way more potential to make better power across the board, I just havent seen yet where 150hp is better than 170hp when the difference is thousands of dollars.

This is the same dilemma I am dealing with. Originally I was going to do the head conversion, posted a thread looking for a machine shop to do the conversion, as Classic Inline apparently is not doing them for the time being. I received 3 - 4 post stating it was cheaper to do the aluminum cylinder head swap and got more HP.

Well to do the aluminum head swap, for a machined complete head ready to mount with the intake manifold would run $2150. I finally found a shop around KC that will mill the head and braise the adapter on as they don't believe the 4 bolt holes are strong enough mounts. To have that done is $400.
Or I could buy a Oz head with intake for $1200.00 ready to mount. After reading some of the issues with carb problems that some have had getting the carb to perform correctly, I am leaning towards the head conversion. Reading one post, the Aluminum Head Swapper when through 3 carbs to find the one that performed right on his swap. I don;t know about you but I cannot afford to eat a couple of extra carbs.

I will have to check out the spec further, I really think Head Conversion is going to be my path.

Back