Accelerator cable linkage

theguitarist

In the next month I will be putting my car back together. Rebuilt engine with the Classic Inlines aluminum head and intake with an Autolite 2v carburetor. I saw in Mustang Monthly that Brian Stilwell's build includes a Lokar gas pedal with all the necessary cable and linkage to reach the new carburetor location.

I have no need for a new pedal. Anyone know of a good cable to attach to an existing stock linkage or pedal?

I tried to do the same deal, there's not a way to avoid changing the pedal. I believe there is a salvage yard option out there, but I can't recall what it was.

As far as I know, my '62 Ranchero came with the original accelerator pedal. I was able to use a Lokar throttle cable with that pedal. As I recall, the Lokar cable had a small metal ball fixed on the pedal end of the inner cable. That ball went through a hole in the top of the accelerator pedal.

Hope this helps
Bob

i solved the problem on my mustang with a bicycle brake cable anchor and the lokar cable:
125606.jpg

you might get this from your local bicycle or motorcycle dealer.

I know this thread is really old but you can also buy a 69+ Mustang pedal and make it work. I did it because I didnt want a ton of money in a stupid pedal and I wanted my pedals to all match/blend in. 69 Mustang pedal and Lokar cable worked perfectly together!!!

69+ pedal moves the entire linkage inside the car where the V8 and I6 pedals have the linkage in the engine bay.

The BRAND NEW Scott Drake pedal had some issues...mainly the part the pedal bolted on was backwards. I looked all over the internet and found numerous stock pedals to confirm. I ended up cutting it off and welding it back the right way in the end. if you buy an oem or used pedal it will be correct.

Mocked it up, made sure everything was where I wanted then drilled 2 holes to mount it up

Drilled the hole for the Lokar cable, cut the top of the pedal linkage and turned it sideways to work better with the Lokar setup and welded it back. Then ran it to the carb, made some brackets to hold it in place and cut the cable and its sheath to length.

Works perfect and looks great too! Very clean setup, I really like it so far!

Matt

There is no need for a cable unless you prefer it. You can just swap to a V8 linkage and bend the arm over a little. This worked great on my Holley 2300. The autolite should be the same.

Back