Photos of intake manifold fastener details

62Ranchero200

Famous Member
Greetings Fords Six Fans,

Could one of you with the aluminum head installed reply with detailed views (from the passenger's fenderwell side and from the head side) of the installed fasteners for the intake manifold?

Thanks
Bob the Builder

170-3tree":1b3sgshj said:
Or ase you looking for the mounting of the intake to the head?

Of the eight holes for mounting the intake to the head, four appear to be smooth on the intake side and threaded on the head side, and four appear to be threaded on the intake side and smooth on the head side. The intake comes with four bolts and four studs. Maybe it's blatantly obvious to everyone else, but it's not obvious to me where I should use the bolts and where I should use the studs.

Thanks
Bob

If I could see some better pictures it would help, here is my best educated guess it looks like the bolts go through holes in intake (bottom) and thread into the head. The studs go into the threaded holes in intake (top) through the holes in head. Good luck :nod:

Fwiw mine came with eight bolts and no studs. And they just go in the respective directions, so a picture of mine will offer nil helpto you if you're looking at a half and half combo. I would assume that the studs go on the bottom side though.

Oh, and my head is circa 2010 so aft the pictures on the site were taken. It might have changed with different manufactures.

bubba22349":2965z4bj said:
If I could see some better pictures it would help, here is my best educated guess it looks like the bolts go through holes in intake (bottom) and thread into the head. The studs go into the threaded holes in intake (top) through the holes in head. Good luck :nod:

The four holes in the top of the manifold flange are smooth - no threads. The smooth holes tend to be shinier inside. It's harder to see in the photo, but the four holes in the bottom of the manifold flange are threaded.

https://imageshack.com/i/mvfp9xj

On the other hand, the four holes in the top of the head flange are threaded, and the four holes in the bottom of the head flange are smooth. So threaded hole is always opposite smooth hole; so the four top fasteners will go on the intake side, and the four bottom fasteners will go on the head side

https://imageshack.com/i/n8brufj

I think all of this has something to with the fact that early Ford compact cars (for example, Falcons) have tight clearance between the manifold and the shock tower. Some poeople have had to go so far as to mill the intake manifold flange to get the manifold to fit between the engine and the shock tower.

Thanks
Bob

They do it because it seals up better that way. But like I said I believe they come with four bolts now, no combination.

I ended up using the supplied 1 1/2" studs on the top side of the intake manifold flange (where the intake flange is threaded, and the head flange is not) and using 1/4" shorter bolts on the bottom side (where the intake flange is not threaded, and the head flange is).

The studs were "barely" long enough - I would have been happier if they were 1/4" longer. The bolts were 1/4" too long - they all threaded into blind holes in the head, and bottomed out - so I replaced them with 1 1/4" bolts. I couldn't use the studs on the bottom of the flange, because there wasn't enough shock tower clearance for the intake manifold to fit past the studs.

Thanks
Bob the Builder

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner..... to much going on and not enough time in the day.

We use to supply the kits with eight bolts, but we recently switched to four bolts and four studs, which make the intake a little easier to install (studs support the intake while your getting the bolts started, and they prevent the gaskets from sliding around). Doesn't matter which way you put them in.... I prefer to use the studs for the bottom four holes, and the bolts on top, but I didn't have an issue clearing the shock tower. I'll make a note about the lengths and change them next time I make up some new sets. Guess it wouldn't hurt to add some instructions too, but I didn't think it really matter which way they went in.

PS: We finally have custom gaskets sets for the intake. The set includes three gaskets (two for the flanges, and one for the carb adapter).

Back