How does the weber 38 perform with the Aluminum Head ?

JMB

Has anybody tried the Weber 38 with the Aluminum Head ? How does it perform ? I want to use the Aluminum Head but also want to get the best MPG. I am in Southern California but don't know which engine builder to trust with this combination. My car is a 66 Mustang with a 200 inline 6. Thanks in advance ?

A carb is really a carb as far as the head is concerned. A lot of guys have a hard time with webers because they are TOO tunable IE: the emulsion tubes, air correctors for primary and secondary sides as well as idle and main jets are tunable on these. If you are comfortable learning to tune one though, they are great carbs.

If mileage and performance are a concern you may consider a DGEV Weber which is a progressive mechnical secondary design and operates only on the primary side and the larger secondary side activates at around 2/3 throttle so they net wonderful mileage numbers. I had one if these in my Fairmont before I installed the T5 and it bested the single barrel holley by a couple MPG on the highway.

First Fox,
Thanks for your reply. Which carb would you use if it was you building the motor using the Aluminum head ?

What other mods do you have planned for the engine? Cam, compression, exhaust etc? Are you going for maximum economy or looking for a decent performance increase also?

Cheers

Guys with 250 inch engines often use (3)40MM sidedraft webers on street cars, so (1)38 seems awful small, especially with a head like this and the potential it has to offer.

Back