48, 52,54, or 56 cc combustion chamber?

69stang_250

VIP
I have read a lot on the aluminum head and wondering what cc chambers most of you guys head came with?
Doing some math for CR and not sure what to expect with the head that is coming. I am trying to keep compression between 10-10.2 for my engine.

My aluminium head arrived around this time last year and had 57cc chambers. Threw my plans out a fair bit as the specs on the Classic Inlines page said 50cc i'm pretty sure

Mine should be here in the next few days. I am hoping the chambers are around 56cc. I am trying to close the quench area up some and get the Pistons closer to the deck, but am on hold till I varify the chamber cc's. I don't know when the last batch of heads were cast, but I hope the one I bought came from the same batch yours was from. How was the install? What kind of carb are you running on yours?

Install was pretty frustrating...

There was a very poor area of casting at one end of the head, I had to have a lot of material ground out, welded up and then machined back down.

Two of the spark plug holes had to be repaired as they were oval shaped, one of the spark plug holes only had thread at each side it was that far out of round.

Had to have hardened steel valve Spring pads made and fitted as the aluminium in this area was full of holes and the high valve Spring pressure would have likely caused it to collapse.

The rear most bolt hole for the rocker pedestal was also surrounded by very poor casting quality which I didn't notice until after the first start up. When I gave it its first moderate revs, it lost all oil pressure instantly. Turned out the bolt holding the yella terra roller rocker rail pulled the aluminium thread clean out of the head and the rail bent like a banana, this caused a pushrod to shoot out and the lifter came out of its bore, this completely uncovered the oil gallery. Luckily I shut it down immediately and fingers crossed everything seems okay. I had time sert thread inserts put into each of the rocker pedestal holes and its held up so far.

Apart from those problems and a large bill from the machine shop, I'm still happy with the aluminium head, there's no denying the performance increase. I'm running an edelbrock 500cfm carb, seems to suit the motor well.

I hope I had the only lemon of the bunch and you have a less eventful install, looking forward to hearing how it comes together :beer:

Man, I'm sorry you ran into so many issues with your install. I hope my install is not as troublesome as well, but if it is, so be it. I think the performance and being different factor is worth it. I am expecting it to arrive Monday and then to the machine shop it goes. I am hoping the chambers are around the same same cc's as yours was. My short block is on hold until I know for sure what they are so I can get my compression ratio right at 10.1:1.

As of now I am planing on running a Holley 600 vac secondary. I am thinking it will work out pretty good and down the road I'll go to MPFI.

make sure your carb is as flat as possible, because space under the hood of a 69 stang is VERY limited.

i had have the autolite 4100 480cfm spreadbore carb that mike used to sell and i had to remove the choke and use the flattest carb plenum that i could find, and still cut out part of the hood to make space.

here some info on my 69 mustang 250cid project. unfortunatly the picture hoster went broke and i have to search for the pictures and upload them again.
/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=63391

I know I am going to shave 1/4 inch off the intake flange to head. I figure this will help it from hitting the shock tower.
What is the height of the autolite 4100? I have been thinking I will end up trimming the hood support rib above the crab to help fit the air cleaner/carb. I don't want to but think I will have to.

I saw your post but wondered where the pics were.

I have some questions for you but may PM you so I don't clutter up this topic with too much other stuff.

Did you have to clean up the CC on your head to get the 58 cc?

Back