Alternatives to classic inlines aluminum block and Aussie250

BigF80

Hello all, new here. Now that classic inlines is out and Aussie 250 are hard to find, is there any other option outside of machining my time build correct 65 mustang. It's had a matching c4 and i6 built a few weeks before assembly date. Would hate to do an engine swap to an 8. Unfortunately the car crawls. Had the ambition of getting her to just over 200 hp. With an aluminum head and reduced weight, would have been enough for me. Any thoughts?

there are plenty of alternatives, the same ones we used before the aluminum head came around.

1: large log head with big one barrel carb

2: large log head with two barrel carb

3: large log head with thee one barrel carbs

4: large log head with two two barrel carbs

5: large log head with EFI adapted

6: add a turbo to your six

7: the aussie crossflow head adapted to the US block, there is a tech article for that

Are any of those log heads easier to install than the others. New to getting under the hood. Starting in my 30's. I will have family friends that are mechanics for help, but would like to go at as much as I can on my own.

If you want 200 hp you probably need more cubes. And different axle ratio, you are possibly geared somewhat low so not real freeway capability.
You could turbo what you have which would get you out of the crawl category. Or build a 200 and maybe an AOD although I am not certain an AOD will fit in a early Mustang.

I had just seen rocklord's crossflow 250 for sale in the classified section. For that price, you can't beat the potential that this engine/head combo will open up for you. Before the hotsixes forum in Oz shut down, there were many builds on there by a guy named XRGlen I think was his username, or something like that were pushing 400 HP N/A, so with a turbo or just N/A, you definitely will not be crawling with this engine as an upgrade. 8)

I'm looking for the same thing - 250 2V head - Aussie or CI, doesn't matter.
I contacted Matt Cox at Vintage Inlines to see if the aluminum head was something they would pick up (from CI). His answer:
"I plan to bring the aluminum head back, but if I can't buy the original patterns, it's going to take awhile to have a new one made. If you subscribe to my newsletter through the website, I'll put out periodic updates".

I saw that too. He won't ship unless he can't find a local (pick up) buyer. Also, I'm told no more sea freight from Australia. Air only which pushes freight to around $800. ouch.

Back