Anybody know how rare Mike's AL heads are?

gus91326

Supporter 2018
Was wondering. My head had a stamping on it of "098" if I recall but I thought someone else mentioned that there were fewer than 30 made. Anybody know?

matcox83":1b9h4lgh said:
I know of a foundry that states they made between 140-150 castings for Mike. My intention is to bring the head back to the market for those of us that never got the chance to buy one.
Maybe we can get a 'Like' button?

140-150?? I thought that there were maybe 20-30 of these sold ever.

I went to a cruise in here in NH tonight. I was talking with the guy who owns ne performance mustang. He said he ran across a car in MA that was traded in to a Chevy collector. It had the aluminum head on it. The Chevy guy just wanted it out of his stable and sold the CAR for $3k before the NE performance guy could get there. Oh, missed opportunities. :banghead:

I've been thinking about creating a Registry Page here for the AL heads. What do ya think? Might be a good way to keep track of what's been done to them as they change hands (and paperwork goes missing and specs get forgotten).

- Perry

I thought is was around 50 or so sold. I never noticed a # stamped mine.

Dang, has it been more than 6 years already?

I spoke to Mike a few years before he passed and he told me the number at that time was around 150. That's not including the untold number that the foundry in Australia where they were cast at that time cast and sold without his knowledge....

Anybody ever figure out a number for the Alumn heads sold? I purchased #009 from Super4ord a couple of years ago as part of a long range upgrade plan on my 67 200 Mustang.
The s# is stamped in the pad on one end of the head .
Since then I have been collecting parts . Some I've installed but most are sitting in a cabinet waiting .

I don't think the exact total is known, but I spoke to Mike a few years before he passed away and the total was around 150, and he still sold them for several more years after that....

Many small casting projects have a high scrap rate due to casting porosity and other core issues. The total number of useable heads may be far less than the total number of castings.

I know mine was one of the pre production heads because I did the drag tests for Mike. Where is the seriel number? Never noticed it on mine.
I bought my FSPP aluminum head and intake manifold, off eBay back in 2012 from a guy in a rock band. It was installed on a nearly stock 250. He said the engine was using lots of oil, so he removed the engine and replaced it with a SBF. I paid $1100 for the head and intake. The valve seals were installed incorrectly, but the combustion chambers weren't too caked up. I had the head pressure tested, and checked for cracks, it was OK. I didn't see any serial number on it, anywhere. I talked to Mike, and he was interested in buying it, but I ended up selling it to an Asian guy for $1400. He was building a sports car from scratch. I almost bought another head from McClearran performance after Mike passed away. One thing about the design of the head was that I didn't like how thin the aluminum was under the valve spring pad for doing any cutting. It would have been nice if Edelbrock would have cast a decent aluminum head for the small Ford 6. The Edelbrock AMC Jeep aluminum head is a nice piece, and saves about 30 lbs over the stock cast iron unit.

Mike made and sold about 180 of his great Classic Inline's Heads (with maybe a few more that weren't sold) don't remember what their cost was back at that time. He had even offered one to me not to long before he passed away (May he Rest In Piece) and sadly I didn't know how sick he was back then thinking I would have more time to get one. I sure should of took him up on his offer then and kick myself ever since. I even think I still had his PM saved, up until a couple years ago went the site was upgraded. There is no reason that you should ever cut the Spring Seats lower and weaken them, the better way would be to use some longer Stem Valve's to get the Spring Height that you need to have.

Back