Pushrod Issues

Gene Fiore

Famous Member
I'm getting ready to install the aluminum head on my 250 and upon doing some mockups I notice that the pushrod holes in the head are off center and the pushrods will definitely rub. Has anyone had this issue and what did you do to correct it...just use a round file and have at it or something else?

Sorry i didn't see this earlier. Did you open up the hole? The guy who put mine together didn't mention anything.
Actually, we went with bigger rods also.

That fact that I had aftermarket 3/8 diameter pushrods doesn't help. ;) I started to enlarge the holes in the number 1 cylinder but since my pushrods were too short I was having trouble gauging the overall fit so I stopped doing that until I get my new pushrods which will be delivered today.

Gene,
On Kelly's Falcon we did enlarge the pushrods holes a bit...well we actually just tapered them from the top so the pushrod would clear.
We're also using "stock" size pushrods.

Later,
Will

Thanks Will. I have my new pushrods and started enlarging the holes. Hope to have that done this weekend and maybe get the head bolted on. Still lots to do around throttle cable setup and bracket. ;)

I'm three years late to this thread, but reading it sure provided some reassurance. I bought my C.I. head 10 years ago from Mike Winterboer. My 1968 Mustang coupe restoration project has been idled for nearly that long (hey... life gets in the way!), but it's ready for me whenever I choose to resume. Back when I started assembling the head, I noticed this same issue. My pushrods interfere with the inside edge of the holes. I used a large rat tail file to remove some material on that side of the holes, but I stopped short of finishing the job before I took my long break from the project. I got a really uneasy feeling filing away on this head, because I kept thinking I was going to file through into the coolant passages. I even considered ordering a Yella Terra roller rocker assembly thinking it would have different geometry and the pushrods would clear. That's an expensive path to take in the interest of experimentation - maybe someday. I plan to finally resume the project this winter, and have just a bit more work to do on the pushrod holes to allow for clearance. Seems odd that there hasn't been more mention of this? Here's a photo that illustrates the issue:

Attachments

• PXL_20210615_233446321.jpg
    PXL_20210615_233446321.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Back