6-3-1 300 header?

Fordman75

1K+
VIP
I'm going to be building my own headers on both my 240/300 projects. My 54 F100 is getting a built 240 that I'm going to go with a full length dual outlet headers. But on my 300 I'm wanting to try a 6-3-1 header design.

I know the 6-2/6-2-1 header design is the much more common design. Basically grouping the front three and the rear three cylinders. Besides the packaging is there any reason a 6 into 3 into 1 design wouldn't perform? I know a lot of the old Triumph inline 6 guys were into this lay out. I believe the 6-3-1 lay out would group cylinders 1& 6, 2&5 and 3&4.

Just wanting to hear some opinions on this.

[offtopic][/offtopic]Fordman75,

I have started on a build of a 6-3-1 header as you describe. It's taking me forever,however be-
cause of body/chassis constraints and other reasons.

I believe one would make a good street header.Ie redid a4-1 into a4-2-1 on a ohc2300 once and
it ma de a big difference in low speed torque and idle.
th
Some experienced and brigher than me, FTF for one ,will say it does't help and you're better
staying with 6-2.

Jack Clifford said 6-2 123,456 gave best overall flat power curve.

Best of luck

Gary

78merKri6":1h7vhatb said:
[offtopic][/offtopic]Fordman75,

I have started on a build of a 6-3-1 header as you describe. It's taking me forever,however be-
cause of body/chassis constraints and other reasons.

I believe one would make a good street header.Ie redid a4-1 into a4-2-1 on a ohc2300 once and
it ma de a big difference in low speed torque and idle.
th
Some experienced and brigher than me, FTF for one ,will say it does't help and you're better
staying with 6-2.

Jack Clifford said 6-2 123,456 gave best overall flat power curve.

Best of luck

Gary

I've got the body/chassis restraints pretty much sorted. Believe it or not the 6-3-1 is actually going to be easier to fit in mine then a 6-2 would. But my design is a little on the strange side. On mine the "6-3" part is all on the side of the engine. And the "3-1" is all behind the engine in the transmission area.

Back