more head questions

chero1369

"I'm building this head for a feller..."
That's how it starts,right?
Ok then,68 M series head,2bbl conversion x2 (meaning dual pattern,32/36& 2100),.060(so far)cut,mild port/polish.302 valve springs,cut for viton seals.
he ordered/wants 274/274 cam.That's all I know,no trans info,no rear end ratio info,no ignition or block info.Radar love,guess.
Is there any benefit from 1.75 valves on intake from 1.69?Is there any shrouding or is it just about the same?
This is my #7 head for 2bbl conversion(with dual pattern),but my first pre-78 head.
Next question,is anyone aware of over oiling of the rocker arm?Let me explain.In my FE's,I'll have 3 or 4 qts in my head and 1 in the crank,with a hi-volume melling it gets worse.To fix this,a restricter in the head(holley 71 jet)keeps oil for the crank.Done this 4 times for my FE's,just wondering since it's the same tech.

Chero1369,

1.75valveis beneficial,but you'll need to cut wall of chamber back. Also don' t restrict oil to
top end. runoff from rocker assy is important to lube distributor gear which sits just below
front drainback hole. Check the Tech section for a better explanation.

The oiling system on stock smallblock is plenty capable as is for most performance.

Good luck.

Gary

Back