Crazy head work

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy guys,

So being president of the only car club at school, i gotta come up with neat stuff to do. My idea is to rebuild a 200 with a late 200/250 head. Since it might live its life on a stand and the school will be paying for it, i got some neat ideas to test out on it.

Special intake work to be done:
-Hog out center hole so something like a Holley 350 or any other 2bbl can be used
-Cut off 2 center intake spots from other 2 other heads and weld them in so tripower is possible
-Have a normal 2bbl carb to weber adapter
-Have special 2bbl to 1bbl adapter
-Have special covers made for the other 1bbl spots that were welded on.

All this allows for the use of a normal 2bbl if wanted, and have the extra 1bbl spots sealed with the special cover
Allows the use of a weber be it a 32/36 or 38/38 with 2bbl to weber adapter with other 1bbl spots covered
Allows the use of tripower when wanted, take off covers for other 1bbls and put on the special 2bbl to 1bbl adapter plate.

The linkage would have to be flexible and easily changed for each scenario but i think this is a crazy neat idea!

I know theres valve work and stuff but this is just about the intake manifold for right now

What do you all think?

pmuller9":mk6a6988 said:
Why not just machine off the entire intake log and make a universal intake manifold.
Look through this thread as one possible example.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=74307
B/c that takes the fun out of it. Lol
Youre probably right. If hacked off, the intake ports can be ported and such.

As an old racer back in the late 60's, the 2-barrel is by far the better choice for a street driven inline 6. Too much carb is the biggest problem car guys bring on themselves. Using 3-one barrels will even out the air-fuel distribution but it will almost always be too rich. Opening the one barrel hole by machining it down to the runner and using the 2-barrel direct-adaptor and a 2100 287cfm carb works great. I have that set up on my 65 now but with just an adaptor, but have a 73 head to be machined. The 73 has the 65 size small valves that work well on the street. Again...too much valve, too much duration, too much lift actually hurts street driving performance most of the time. Velocity is often overlooked when building a head, and velocity does a lot to aid combustion on the street. A spark lasts only so long then is gone...so a fast swirling mix is more likely to hit the spark if it is moving around the chamber to be ignited. Just a thought.

Back