Unorthodox cooling.

I hate seeing my old posts.
but this post shows me as not too ignorant.
there are some things I have learned since my last post.

the six can be cooled through the casting ports.
mopar racers do this on the LA series engine.

solves the temp differentials between cylinders.
I believe FTF mentioned something about steam ports, but I don't recall exactly.

ive switched to a diesel radiator for my f350 six.
pass through heat is negligible.
the greater capacity, is almost too much, but I have plans for that ultra cool liquid.

the greatest assist to this is a clear path out of the engine bay.
down, and through the chassis, some way that traveling air has to escape.
one time on a very hot summer week when my f350 was a big block , I took the hood off.
the cab got uncomfortably hot through the fire wall.

timing has much to do with heat.

and, wrap ur exhsust. it's useless radiant heat.

and that's all I have learned.

the idea of electronically controlled cooling system makes me warm and fuzzy.

Having owned and built the 200 six for years as a driver in HOT Texas, we need all the air flow we can get. My 65 is bored .060" which is not recommended but required due to broken #6 ring from bad gas in Oklahoma. An aluminum radiator, fan shroud, 6-blade flex-fan and an eyebrow cut in the hood on the engine exhaust side, eliminated all my heating troubles. The eyebrow cut exhausts heat below about 50 mph, then sucks air in up to...a bunch! Either way, air movement across the engine is involved...and works. I moved the coil to the inner fender-well to help vibration/heat, along with a MSD .8 ohm resistor. Feeding an ACCEL 8140 coil (42KV) it works great. Don't forget, timing also effects heat and coolant type also. I run 50/50 DISTILLED water and antifreeze.

Back