Small log vs Large log port size

Hi, been lurking for awhile doing my homework on building a small block six......
Just curious if anyone has measurements of the actual port size (diameter) of a small log vs a large log head with the intake milled off? I have a couple of early small log 200 heads and I'm getting the ball rolling on building a mild turbo engine for my wife's '62 Falcon four door. I've been planning on milling the intake (and some of the exhaust) 90* to the deck, bolting a 1/2" plate to the head to allow for a proper bolt pattern for the intake manifold I'm going to fabricate. I just didn't know if there is enough difference in actual port size to make it worth tracking down a later large log head......

Thanks for the link Invectivus…. I'm going to have to measure the actual port size I have and see if I have the earliest head(s) or whether they are somewhere in between. I'm hoping xctasy might weigh in with his opinion on whether the larger port is worthwhile or not. I know the larger combustion chamber on the later head would be helpful in lowering the compression ratio for boost, but I'm planning on unshrouding the valves as much as possible and that would add some volume to the smaller chamber of the early head....and might possibly give me a better combustion chamber shape...…
I wish I had a flowbench so I could see what kind of flow is possible with the smaller port.....

Back