Machine shops and engine builders?

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
We are getting a pretty good list started in Machine Shops & Engine Builders, but we still need a lot more. I currently have several customers looking for a good mechanic that can tune their motors. More specifically the carb and ignition timing. Most have recently rebuilt their motors, but can't get them to idle or run properly. Many are so frustrated they're ready to sell their cars, or tow them to the junk yard and sell them for scrap. So if you know of a good shop or mechanic, or someone that can tune Weber carbs, please post the information. If we have any forum members that are willing to help out and make a few extra bucks, especially tuning Weber carbs, please let us know. If you don't want to post your info, but wouldn't mind helping out occasionally, send me a PM. Right now, I have a customer in Vermont that's ready to pull his hair out. I've tried to help him out over the phone and by email, but he just isn't mechanically inclined. He's had the car towed to several shops, which were recommended, but none of them have been able to help him out. They simply don't know how to tune a carb and/or set the timing on an old fashion six. If it doesn't have injectors and an EMS, their totally lost....

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone in the Whittier / East Los Angeles area should give Kurt at Engine Parts Service a call. It's a machine shop. He does pretty much all basic assembly of short blocks. He doesn't really tune anything, so sorry if I'm recommending a shop that doesn't tune. He does military and tank motors, diesel motors, even dragster motors, I think. He certainly had no problems freshening my lil' ol' six head. Gave me great labor prices, too. 300 bucks parts/labor roughly for a head job. He can press new seats and stuff too. He'll let you come in the shop and check out all the machines, and talk to you for an hour if he has to. I highly recommend his shop.

Engine Parts Service Precision Machine Work

Phone: 562-945-1320

7337 Whittier Ave.

Whittier, CA. 90602

Custom Engine and Parts out of Longview, Tx is a very good machine shop for anyone looking for a machinist in east Texas. It's a very small shop run by an older man and his wife but it's a labor of love for them and they are very cheap and friendly. I have to watch the clock every time I go there or I'll end up talking with them for hours..
Phone number: 903 758 0241

Also in Longview is a hot rod shop called East Texas Muscle. I've never had any of my cars worked on there but I always hear good things about them. They have a dyno as well so I'm sure with all the cool doohickeys they got they could tune just about any engine.

If you have no luck with them there's like 2 other shops n Longview.. Haven't heard much about them but the newest one supposedly charges out the a$$ :thumbdown: maybe you get what you pay for but I'll have to check it out some day

jem44357":10jrqmy8 said:
The web site says he will travel to you. It may be a few $$$ but I think he might know a bit about Webers.

http://www.jiminglese.com/

Jim

Jim sold out to Total Performance ( used to build T Buckets) years ago then purchased the business back when Total Perf sold out to Speedway Motors. Jim Inglese has a wealth of knowledge in the area of Webers.

I am throwing My Shop into this Mix , I specialize on Tuning and setting up Combos either from scratch or fixing problematic purchases, or previous builds, I am fan and very familiar with the Falcon 6 , I am in Central Pa , My Shop phone is 570-847-6282 , My Name is Faron Rhoads , and feel free to Google it . The Name of My Shop is Total Performance Ent. of Pa , feel free to E-mail me at TotalPerfEntofPa@aol.com or call with questions , please leave a message

Newguy here but Bell Auto on McDowell between Hayden and Pima in Scottsdale AZ is the last shop I know of which specializes in tuning carbureted engines.

I give hi praise to Scottsdale Automotive Machine shop near Thomas and Scottsdale road in Scottsdale for machine work, they have built four motors for me which continue to turn.

There's quite a bit of Weber tuning info to be had on-line, and a book, "Weber Carburetors," Pat Braden, HP Books.

Portland Oregon.

Portland Engine Rebuilders is a small old school shop located in inner SE on Hawthorne. This place is great, good service, final price very close to estimate. You have to step over the motors which are comming & going.

Auto Repair Specialties is a small tune up shop located in SE Portland on Division near the Gresham boarder. This place is great. They have knowledge on old motors and do a great job. They also have a Dyno!!

MACHINE SHOP

I can personally recommend two great shops in the NW Oregon / SW washington area.

Portland Oregon: Jobbers Service did a beautiful and cheap job on my overbore and decking .
Also the very lowest prices on engine parts they are a Wholesaler to the industry ; very highly recommended .

Down River
Longview Washington: in Machining there is never close enough, Right is the only way to do it.
Castle diesel and machine IS more consistently accurate in this than any i have seen. Bill Castle runs a simply amazing shop. And he is one of a very few who does line boring to keep crank centerlines in place.
single cylinder motorcycle to v16 diesels come outta that shop ready to work.

Hello, I am currently building a high performance street head for our 1965 Mustang. Its a 200 cu in block and the head is from a 1980 Granada. We purchased the head from Hoctors hidden valley auto parts in Maricopa Arizona. Had it crack checked at S&S Machine in Mesa Arizona, who suggested I take it B&B in Mesa for the required welding to open up the intake to accept a Holley 2 BBL carb (or fuel injection). While it was there Jim Basko from Basko Machine arrived to bring some parts to Bill Carroll, Jim saw the head and advised that he had performed the modification, Bill checked with me and Jim did the welding. Head returned to B&B for machine work and seals and core plugs. I'm happy with the work, and will keep you updated with the progress

Hello, I am currently building a high performance street head for our 1965 Mustang. Its a 200 cu in block and the head is from a 1980 Granada. We purchased the head from Hoctors hidden valley auto parts in Maricopa Arizona. Had it crack checked at S&S Machine in Mesa Arizona, who suggested I take it B&B in Mesa for the required welding to open up the intake to accept a Holley 2 BBL carb (or fuel injection). While it was there Jim Basko from Basko Machine arrived to bring some parts to Bill Carroll, Jim saw the head and advised that he had performed the modification, Bill checked with me and Jim did the welding. Head returned to B&B for machine work and seals and core plugs. I'm happy with the work, and will keep you updated with the progress
any updates???

šŸŽµ (crickets) šŸŽ¶
...........?............
'n yrs in the balance

Back