Throttle body injection?

michael_cini

Hi everyone,

I was having a conversation with a guy I just met on the phone who is a real gearhead the other day about the pro's and con's of adding a 2 barrel to my I6 now that the price of gas is going up and up and up. He suggested that I try to update the engine for throttle body injection because the performance and fuel economy would improve. Is this the same as fuel injection, or different? How easy would this be to do to a '75 250 engine and what would you get the parts from? Thanks for any info. in advance.

Michael

That adapter looks an awful lot like the one Mustang Geezer fabbed up for his Carter YF swap.

I pulled one from an 81 LTD, it has the same footprint as a Holley 2300. My plan was to use a megasquirt controller.

Here are some pics. (excuse the mess :oops: )
CFI_butterfly.jpg

CFI_3.jpg

Basically, TBI is a computerized Carb, with slightly better mixing. While you want max the performance or economy you'd get if you went MPFI, it (IMHO) is still better then a carb.

BTW, anyone know of a car that ran a 4V TBI set up?

Slade

I just found the Holley kit for $778. That seems like a pretty good deal for a complete fuel injection system. Granted, it may not be a good as port injection, but it has to be better than a carburetor. This one was only 300 cfm, though, which seems a little meager. I'm pretty sure they make higher volume units but they might cost a little more.

Thanks DBzOkole, you turned on the light!

Does anyone have more information on the 81 TBI. . Wondering if I want to get the megasquirt up and running with TBI while I wait on one of the more gifted among you to fab up a multipoint OZ intake :D

Also is the wideband O2 sensor that big a deal in real terms?

Thanks,
Don

Also is the wideband O2 sensor that big a deal in real terms?

OK, I got this part, the wide band tells you where your a/f is all the time.

Back