Cheap and easy EFI?

argo

I just got the Six Cylinder Performance Handbook, and even though I am interested in the big sixes (and this book has nothing about them at all) I bought it because I thought it would be an interesting read. I then had a wicked idea. Divide the intake log to make two separate 3 cylinder halves, and machine the tops of each manifold half to accept a 1 bbl. throttle body with injector from the old 2.5L GM Iron Duke 4 Cylinder. Then get an 80's 3.8L Throttle body injected V6 Ford computer, sensors, and harness, and split the injector wiring, one for each throttle body. Fully Port and polish the head and put in big valves, run an exhaust divider and headers, Y the dual outlets to a single 3" exhaust with provisions for an O2 Sensor (a heated sensor, since it's further away from the exhaust ports and may not be warm enough). plumb the pressurized fuel system with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and voila, you have a cheap but effective EFI system which would greatly help with efficiency and fuel distribution. If the IAC motors in each individual Throttle Body can be piggybacked, or eliminated outright, this could be combined with a healthy but high vaccum cam, 1.6:1 rockers, a good 3 angle valve job with backcut valves, a high flow CAT (for 80's applications where smog legality is important), and Efficiency, Performance, and Emissions Compliance (with room to spare) could be had for the 200 with healthy performance in an early 80s Fairmont or Mustang. I just was daydreaming and stumbled on the idea, and would like some feedback from others in the forum to see if it'd be feasable, or if you guys know some reason it's no good. I have mostly big six experience, but thought it was a good idea. Let me know what you think!

8) it is a feasable idea, but i think mine would be better. that is to use an offy three carb intake settup, use three 1bbl throttle bodies from a tempo, and a megasquirt injection controller to run all three throttle bodies. synch the throttle bodies to open in unison, and let the computer control the fuel flow. this would allow the best fuel distribution for the small six, and leaving the log alone would allow the cylinders to share a common plenum for higher rpm power.

Back