taurus fuel injection

A

Anonymous

There was quite a bit of talk awhile back of using this system on a stock log 200 head as a more reliable alternative to the stock carb setup with a possible slight increase in mileage/performance. Did anything ever come of it?

Sedanman

Yes. DG8TIM gave us all a photo of the ports and details of the HSC 2.3/2.5 engine. There are clearly a lot of changes to the 4 cyl head, and the centre inlet tracts on the I6 are grouped. The HSC intake won't be a bolt on, not even close, even if sectioned.

The option is still there to run an HSC 2.3 workalike HSC I6, but it would require a cut off log head, and a set of Argie ME, SP or perhaps 280 ZX exhast manifold. The intake and exhast off a 300 I6 could be extensivley cut and shut to suit, and Harrie, the66mustang, has a wonderful set up where the old I6 Log head gets an Aussie X-flow intake manifold. They guy is awesome!

There is another guy, HotRod here who has a 27T-bucket with Aussie Log six with log head, and a cross-flow EFI set up.

There is lots of work going into getting EFI on old 144-250 sixes.

To make it commerical, it'll need common parts, and the best bet is to rework the 4.9 EFI port injection system to fit the log head by welding six flanges. That way, theres little green field design work needed.Then get six tubes bent up to suit.

The conventional FSPP, Clifford and Hooker headers are cheap, and the port divider fixes most of the exhast problems. New cams from FSPP are designed to deal with the poor exhast ports of the 144-250 little six.

I've got my own personal project, but the details will have to wait until I get my project car running.

I don't know much about fuel injecting these old sixes but that guy might be onto something here. Tauri are cheap cars with commonly 3.0L sixes, that displacement is much closer than the 4.9L I6 or even a 3.8L V6 that tauri also ran. Someone could weld in bungs on the stock log head at an angle to get the injector spray into the combustion chamber and make use of the throttle body and mass air flow sensor as well. Arrange the wiring right so the firing order isn't off and get a custom fuel rail made. After that figure out how the vulcan 3.0L V6 ignition works and if you can bypass it with something after market, like an msd box.

hmmmm....

I thought I recall that the setup being discussed was off the early 4cyl taurus engines, and did not use separate injectors (if that's possible!) and would have worked with the log head. Either way, it look's like my only immediate option for fuel delivery is buying a rebuilt 1100 from pony or a parts house.

S-man

Oooops, my bad!

The Throttle body injection (TBi) from a Tempo HSC will fit on the later log head. I think it had a 1- barrel Holley 1949 carb base.

Calibration is for 85 hp, and most of the wet gear for these piddle and dribble injection systems can deliver 30 to 40% more power than that.

In Australia, we use a Central Fuel injection (CFi) system on our 1988 to 1992 3.2 and 3.9 Falcons. They have only 130 to 160 hp as stock, but just one can go up to 225 hp with ease.

One guy on the Megasquirt forum has a 460 big block Landau with twin CFI, and it produces big power!

If you used on CFi or TBi, it will work. The fuel economy is more related to the constant tune the EEC system gives. Most emissions TBi systems are worse than a carb, but mearly hold there tune better than carbs, with fewer warranty issues. When soething goes wrong, its a fault code analysis. If you make your own, you'll need to hack the set-up, and run either an aftermarket computer interceptor, or a cheap GM Delco set-up reprogramed.

Gm had a bunch of their engines paired up with CFI/TBI style fuel injection. With a custom throttle body adapter I bet someone could fool one of those systems into working on an I6 too.

I didn't know you guys were refering to the four cylinder taurus engine, I didn't even consider it. We had a 89' taurus and it had trouble moving along when the V6 got up around 100k. On the other hand I do have a friend with an early 2-door tempo that I might be able to steal some parts from...

Very honestly, I can't remember for sure if it was from a 4 or V-6. This discussion took place way back at the old Clifford forum before this one got underway. I can't remember his name, but the guy had a dark blue '65 or '66 mustang coupe with a 250 in it and he was trying to figure this swap out. He was in the military, but I can't remember where.

S-man

Back