question about megasquirt

A

Anonymous

Is the megasquirt hard to put on my 96 f150 with a 300 I6?

Just as hard as to put it on anything else. You'd probably get more information on the requirements on the Megasquirt page. I don't believe that anyone here has done this, at least they haven't posted it yet that I've seen. Have you tried searching the forum for it?

Adjustability. You could easily make more power and fuel efficiency because the stock EFI is made for emissions, nothing else.

wallaka":f650jiga said:
Adjustability. You could easily make more power and fuel efficiency because the stock EFI is made for emissions, nothing else.

The stock EEC-IV is actually VERY tunable.
I would buy and learn to use a twEECer before I cut all the wiring out and change to megasquirt.

Actually, since it is a '96 it might even be EEC-V. That makes it even easier yet. (look at the SCT XCalibrator)

I would buy and learn to use a twEECer before I cut all the wiring out and change to megasquirt.

Not that I'm an expert, as I am looking into this myself and haven't done anything to this point... BUT:

http://www.megaefi.com/ This badboy is sweet for getting megasquirt up and running- plug and play! You still need all the other stuff like TIME to tune the thing, and a donor EEC-IV harness(junkyard or from www.squirtandspark.com) and the decision of MS-I or II, etc. Last I checked you could get the MS-I and the EEC-IV adapter board for under $350, although I can't remember if that was assembled or not.

I haven't studied anything about the twEECer at all, so thankyou for that lead, I'll see what it's all about. I wish I could find someone that had put the megasquirt setup above into a stock truck and was able to dyno it and see what kind of improvements we could expect in torque, HP, and the power curve changes, and for me the most interesting part would be the fuel efficiency. I'm terribly curious how modern tech would do in these engines unmodified, mostly to see what kind of difference it would make. Of course MS doesn't control spark, so that'll still be 20-ish years old...

[/url]

you can also add a wideband to a MSII and it can pretty much self tune also.

I would def go with the EEC donor style setup. will allow eays switching back and the donor board setup will have all the EEC needed drivers and relays on it (for IAC and TFI etc) it can be mounted in the stock location and a pigtail ran to the MS box wherever you mount that (glovebox or behind/under a seat.

I think those donor style boards might require a certain pin out though that may not match your EEC box. but as long as you label your pins/wires you cna repin back and forth pretty easily and quickly (all you need are a couple small screwdrivers/picks to do it) some people even use a second donor (I think you can still order JUST the plug from ford though) and make a pigtail so it can plug in directly) using a donor ECU you can hack up anything pretty much (even a dead ECU) which is handy.

ALSo the MS can support low impedance injectors....very handy if building a boosted app (I like using the stock 2.3L turbo injectors rated at 35#/hr or the CFI injectors that go up to 52#/hr)

Back