TBI injector questions

rmoe88

Ok, i have decided to go with a 1bbl TBI unit from a 86 ford tempo. The bolt pattern looks very close to the stock intake. I got it off ebay for $5 brand new in box. It doesnt have an injector though, so i have some questions before i get one. I searched but cant find any information on 86 tempo TB's haha!

Do other injectors fit this TB, or do i have to buy a replacement one for THIS car? I read somewhere that ford TBI units use a high psi rating to opperate, what kind of PSI and GPH is the minimum required to opperate this (of course ill have higher then the minimum.) If other injectors fit this TB, which do you recomend using? Its a stock 67 200, other than a pertronix ignition.

Any links to informative sites about ford injectors would be very appreciated :D

Also which external Electric fuel pump are you other EFI guys using?

Thank you!
Moe.

The injector is fitted into the top of the housing and is retained by a screwed on clip. These normally run at ~30-35psi, which is a low pressure system in the EFI world. The fuel pressure regulator is also built into the top cover and is adjustable. Simply remove the metal cover and turn it with an allen wrench.

TBI_FORD.jpg

Stock, the injector will flow enough fuel to support about ~100 to 120 hp. By bumping pressure up to 45-50 psi, my guess is that it may flow enough fuel and air to support ~140 hp. The base is the same as a later 1bbl carb, so physically it's a bolt on, but the linkage is different and most of these have a fast idle solenoid or motor.

You can use a standard inline EFI fuel pump from an E150 van or any aftermarket inline unit. You'll have to run a return line. A megasquirt will easily handle the injector.

Thanks MustangSix, thats a great picture.

About the regulator, i am having trouble finding a fuel pump that looks like it would work. I looked into the stock E150 fuel pump but they are all In-Tank pumps. Do you know what years they had External inline ones? Heres what i came up with for an aftermarket pump.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... 25&FROM=MG
It says its MAX psi is 85. can the stock regulator on the TB handle that and bring it down to say 40psi? or would something brake?

83-84 2.3L turbo cars also had an external pump on them. I think my dads 1986 efi 5.0L f150 has one too. as long as you have a return line you are gravy

Lots of 80's Nissans, Bmw's, Audis, Mercedes had inline Bosch pumps just like the ford trucks and vans. There are two pumps on some vans and trucks; one in tank and one inline. Mine is from some unknown year Ford and is wrapped in foam and strapped to a bracket near the tank with a big EFI fuel filter in front of it.

I found some of the fuel pumps you guys were talking about on the Napa website. They were about $70. I still like that msd pump though, being only $20 more and looking cooler. "as long as you have a return line you are gravy" hey turbo, was that a comment on my question about the high psi of the msd pump? If it was then i think ill go with the msd pump from summit, along with some other things :D . Anyone have any bad comments on the msd pump or know of a better one for about the same price or cheaper?

O, one last thing. Can i use universal injectors from summit.com like this one http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku Or do i need a direct replacement injector? Basicaly, can you swap out injectors?

Thanks MustangSix and Turbo_Fairlane_200 for the help!
Moe.

since the tbi unit is a bypass style it can run near zero to max pump pressure. basicly the reg will "bleed" off excess fuel to maintain a pressure.

The injector is specifc to the Ford CFI units. I think the 1bbl version uses the same style injector as the 2bbl, but they are not the same as that Bosch format injector you showed. It is round and barrel shaped.

the larger 2bbl uses a modded bosch injector (2.3L guys run them for cheap upgrades)

I am grabbing a TBI unit I saw in the JY maybe this weekend. looked to use a weber bolt pattern on it.

I had a Tempo TBI, but I passed it to another member years ago. It was a 1bbl flange. The 2bbl CFI is a Holley/Motorcraft flange.

The thing that really turned me away from trying to inject a log was the realization that no matter what I did, it was not going to make more power. The head is so constricted on intake and exhaust that EFI will not really help power. It may be more fuel efficient and smoother, but power output would be about the same due to the inherent limitations of the head.

on the topic of TBI throttle bodys. at the NCOC BOCES class I take, we have a '88 Crown Vic with a 5.0 V8 for parts, the throttle body is quite big and 4 bolt, is it a true throttle body with the injector in the throttle body itself or are the Crown vic 5.0's MPFI? I didn't look close, saw it grabbing parts for another car, looks like there in an injectior connection in the top but I'm not shure. if it is for a TBI setup, can I make the large 4 bolt work?

Back