Injectors too small!!!

A

Anonymous

So I started talking to this guy on the 034efi motorgeek forum who is familliar with my efi system. He almost guessed right off the bat that my injectors were too small. I guess I never let the rpms up high enough for them to reach 100%duty cycle. so I went and tested it. Right where he said it would run out of fuel,from my recall of what #/hr Bud @redline told me they were. Right past 3000 rpm with fuel cranked higher than it should go she went lean. I went home pulled the injectors out and on the back side was engraved a big36. Now for a claimed 325hp :roll: the injectors should be at least twice that big I think. Cant remember the calculation for it. I'm pissed :devilish: They knew exactly what engine this system was going on.

36lbs at what fuel pressure?

Most injectors are rated for around 42lbs pressure. Bump pressure or lower pressure and flow rate goes up or down.

The 86-88 Ford 2.3L turbos used brown top 36lb/hr injectors at 42lbs fuel pressure at the rail.

325 hp with 6 injectors is about 32 lbhr. Or is this a 4? 4 is 48 lbhr. Fuel pressure makes a big difference. Make sure you dont exceeded the max working pressure of the injector. Too large of an injector can be very difficult or impossible to get a good idle so make sure you have your research done before you go spend a ton of money on new larger injectors. Twice the size of existing is going to require some major re tuning.

The 36lbhr 42psi would drop to 30 lbhr at 30 psi. At 50 they would flow almost 40 assuming they still function properly and dont leak.

Also, what fuel pump are you using?

The 2.3L people upgrading engines to a 2.3L turbo also have to upgrade to a higher volume fuel pump when adding the larger injectors.

Most are running 190lph or more. A common one is the Walbro 255lph pump.

36 lb injectors would be more than enough for over 325 hp in a V8. Some people don't know that six cylinder injectors have to be bigger for the same hp.

MustangSix":3kifi9gf said:
36 lb injectors would be more than enough for over 325 hp in a V8. Some people don't know that six cylinder injectors have to be bigger for the same hp.

They need to be bigger (assuming similar displacement 300, vs. 302 and multiport) because there are 2 less injectors so you would be loosing 1/4 of your capacity.

I have run 36lb ford brown tops from my 88 turbo coupe at 62psi base fuel pressure with out any issues ! Dependent on what type of computer you are using will dictate what you should get as far as injectors! I have found Delfi's to be the best spraying injector out there! I run a mega squirt and 85lb Delfi's on my 85 SVO.

Yes I am the same 88turbodad from turbo ford! I am doing research on my 60 falcon project and stumbled on this site! I am thinking of turbo the 170 that is in my car now! I know I have seen your name on turbo ford.

Cool, welcome to the board.

I still havent done anything else Megasquirt or EEC IV adapter yet but I should have my turbo short block done in about another week, just waiting on my Clevite bearings and assembly starts.

Back