OEM external EFI fuel pump source?

Bort62

2K+
VIP
Anyone have a good lead on one?

Most of the aftermarket units are pretty expenisve in high pressure variants.

Thanks.

for now I am going to a GM mini tank of a 8.1L 5 gal of self contained system. has a fill cap, in tank pump and sending unit in a nice small package :D

saves me from sumping my tank (btw most external pumps are not too good at drawing from a tank and need a sump)

also makes for a nice tank if I wanna run some race gas :D

my car is kinda off the road as a driver for now so 5 gal is plenty for me for now (only get to drive a couple times a year anyways)

Yeah, Looking at A Sumped 16 gallon from summit.

An inline should be able to pull from that without any problems.

are you going EFI or EFI adn turbo?

if plain EFI a econoline pump would prob work ok. I am going to prob end up with an aeromotive pump on my car when I go to a sumped setup in a couple years.

Also, most 80's Fords with a CFI (TBI) had a low pressure in-tank pump and a frame-mounted high pressure pump.

I used the high pressure inline (frame-mounted) pump on mine, but since I wasn't using the stock fuel tank, I used a 5 gal cell with a Holley "red" pump to feed the high-pressure inline pump. Works great.

Well, since the fuel cell I am looking at is sumped, I shouldnt need the low pressure intank pump.

Correct?

Bort62":h4ggqm81 said:
Well, since the fuel cell I am looking at is sumped, I shouldnt need the low pressure intank pump.

Maybe.....not sure.

Fuel pumps HATE trying to create suction, which is why the inlet of EFI pumps is always at the bottom of the tank.

IF you keep the inlet of your frame mounted pump below the bottom you will be fine, if it is higher and you park the car overnight with a 1/4 tank of gas and the fuel level is lower than the pump, you may not get it started the next day.

if it is sumped just mount the pump as close as you can to the sump and as low as possible. I forgot where but someone used to sell -AN adaptors for the ford rail pumps (the nipples thread out so you could weld on something I guess and screw it back on)

Back