TB Bore size

Thad

1K+
VIP
OK, we covered plenum sizing.

New question, throttle body size for tpi (single), engine 230 ci 4 banger probable reach 90% VE, max rpm 7,200. 360 -380 hp.

So any formulas or rule of thumb.

Thad":1krioeqt said:
engine 230 ci 4 banger

Is this based on the aluminum Mercruiser block that's half of the 460? I'd love to learn the details of how you're hooking it up to a tranny; I've heard rumors it has the Chevy bellhousing pattern.

A Ford 157 t six (zero balance) flexplate has same bolt pattern as the 470/4cyl crank. Spacing, crank to back of block where bellhousing bolts same, zero.
Starter off 0.010" bolt holes can be elongated, or welded and redrilled.

OK, the bellhousing pattern is SBC. Could run SBF6 flex plate and 'Glide.
But want 3spd not 2 spd. And IIRC the C-4 weighs less than a TB350. So----
There are several manufacture of aftermarket C-4 bell housing that say they have enough space on the flange before trimming to drill the SBC pattern.
Or I could trim a C-4 bellhousing and heliarc on a new mounting flange.

And the purist in me screams "All Ford"

Got any suggestions?

Thad":2wblbddm said:
The C-4 weighs less than a TB350

Not enough of a difference to go off and spend $$$$$ trying to make a Ford trans fit. No one is going to crawl underneath to look when it is done, they will be in awe of the engine.

Also, a chevy trans leaves you a LOT more options (that means parts are easier to find and cheaper) and also a 200-4R (like the turbo buick GN's ran, also available in Chev pattern) are a nice lightweight trans that can handle a lot of power. Or you could move up to the 700-R4....Or any number of manual trans including a T-5.

I want to see this engine built with one of these FMS-M-6049-SCJ aluminum super cobra jet heads!:
fms-m-6049-scjb_w.jpg

Sorry don't have a FMS head.
Would you be happy if I used the Edelbrock Performer RPM head which I do have? ;)

Then there is the partial set of Harlon Sharpe roller rockers, the left side 460 competition headers. Waiting for a broken set of "H" beam BBC rods so can offset grind pick up a little stroke. Probably will have to special order 4 x 460 pistons with BBC pin size with correct compression height for 10.25 : 1 cr. Cam regrind 280 degrees 220-230 @0.050, lift .525, center 108-110.
1/2 set of beehive springs-----------------------.

Thad
I have been concerned about the headgasket sealing ability on these engines. I am seriously considering adding a steel plate to the deck and sleaving mine back to 4.250, using sleaves with a flange. This should tie everything together nicely and allow mucho boost. 8) My greedy side says cubes, my conservative side says it will still be big even with a 4.250 bore and have more integrity.

Stubby":23hkx8hf said:
my conservative side says it will still be big even with a 4.250 bore

Yes, and QUITE torquey, to boot.

he's probably wanting a lot more than $10 to meet his reserve.

I have a stock late 80's mustang TB for cheap if he needs one.

Back