3.8L CFI setup

alright today I hit the JY and pickedup a pile of 3.8L cfi bits.

I have most of the harness (missing a plug for teh injectors and O2 sensors) the ECU and the CFI unit and TFI coil. I also yanked the reluctor form the dizzy for my 2.3L one.

a few things I noticed:

1. the stock CFI regultor mounts under the "bonnet" or aircleaner housing and is the same as a standard ford EFI regulator from teh 80's and early 90's BUT it has no vac port on it. and just puts out a constant pressure. if you install a vac ported one you would get a pressure increase (more fuel) under boost...I like. but it monts close to teh edge and I don't think the larger bodied adjustable regulators would fit too well (not enough clearnce for the round body style ones) I am planning to run a stock reg in it for now and maybe put in a block off plate for an external regulator I happen to have already (aeromotive one)

2. the fuel lines are some goofy thread to attach them. there is a 8"-10" hardless coming off the unit then a disconnect for a plastic line. you can get adaptors for the plastic lines for AN fittings though (LS1 rail fittings) but there is enough meat in the body for almost a 1/2" NPT thread. I am going to go for a 3/8" pipe thread for my car (internal passageways are only 1/4" or so)

3. the aircleaner seems to be larger than the 350 holley one. I need to measure it still to see how big it is so a custom bonnet or a modded aircleaner might be needed.

other than that it looks pretty good. I am going to see how a standard bosch style injector fits up in it and if it can be modded for it. there was a 5.0L unit there to I might grab that has bigger injectors in it.

ok I found a wiring diagram for the 3.8 and 5.0L tbird.

now on sliming it down I am seeing pinouts for both EGO and O2 sensors....I didn't know there was a difference. the only other big issue I have is that I am missing the idle solenoid and/or kicker. There were only two cars in the yard and they both had been picked over alittle on the CFI so I am going with what I have. My car is a fair weather driver so a high idle ability is not too critical for me (no AC and manual trans)

You should not have any problem not using the IAC. You will just have to tune idle speed Via the screw, as if it were a carb.

I figured it out....they show both the 5.0 and 3.8 on the same diagram....the 5.0 puts them on the same plug and the 3.8 uses two plugs.....when you trace it back they splice.

I think I have a trimmed down diagram that shoud work out pretty good now. going to rework the narness tonight and tomorrow so it is ready to go (give it power and mount the sensors) for now I am just leaving all the leads long until I get it in the car and running.

I am planning on driving my car back south to where I live and am shooting to have the CFI working by then so I can give it a good long road test (and carry a carb and DSII just in case I have problems on the road) it will be a 250 mile or so single way trip so should give a good feeling for the setup.

Back