Fuel inject my78'

Tha_Stepside

Im seriously thinking about doing something a "little" different with my 78' Stepside 4X4. Im thinking of converting it over to a fuelie because the engine is out of a 92' and its been converted over to carbed and points dist. Now i have some questions; what will i need to make the system work, are they MPFI or TBI, how much horsepower is available (im looking for aroun 240hp), and what can i do to make that kind of horsepower? Any help would be appreciated, because its already making good hp and i blow a lot of people off their sox when i tell them "ohhh its just an old six". Id like to make them lose their minds with a fuelie, and help out with gas mileage and trail response (my current engine doesnt like to go up steep hills).

Myford.jpg

You guys are the first to see this pic, was taken at postill lake B.C. in about 3ft of mud, drove right through no probs with 35X12.50 MT's

The stock EFI horsepower levels aren't much higher than the carbed version. 5-10 hp, depending on the years. You would be much better served IMO getting a slightly hotter cam and exhaust, and perhaps intake as well. You're not gonna get 240 hp with a stock EFI swap. The engine in 92 made 145 hp and 265 ft/lbs.

Your truck looks just like one that a friend of mine has. He has the 300 as well, 35" Boggers, headers, "RV grind" cam and an Offy DP (I think) 4V intake. It runs along well in the mud and on the road.

i know im not gonna see 240hp with a stock swap, my engine is already bored 0.030" over, head shaved 0.060", 3 angle valve grind, port and polish, a clifford 264H camshaft, clifford headers and a clifford 4bbl intake is on the oder list, but i want to see if i can get decent power out of an EFI set-up before i order the intake.

Maybe pick up a stock EFI intake and something like a MegaSquirt ECU and see what it does. The thing I like about the MS is you can program the heck out of the thing with a computer. If you have a laptop you can have it in the car with you and make changes and see the changes right away. If you dont have a laptop you have to unplug the thing and bring it in the house. Programing would be a good thing for you since you have made changes to your engine. If that works for you you can start to look at porting the stock manifold or upgrading to something else.

so what are my options for intake manifolds? And where can i get one of those mega squirter ecu's? Any help would be great.

cheers

I dont know anything about the later 300's so maybe post in that section and those guys can tell you what is out there for factory EFI manifolds.

This is the official MegaSquirt home page... there are tons of info and links and fourms and more..... Lots of reading, bookmark it so you can go to it when you have spare time.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Im running a old Holly EFI system on one of my junkers now just to see how efi works. I just orderd a MS ecu to learn how to program and tune them before I move on to a good engine in a good car.

Back