efi just getting started

rustyc756

have a 200 i6 and want to put on efi but so far i feel a little overwelmed with all of the info found so farlooking for some guidence on where to start. maybe how does this mega squirt unit work how do i learn to build one. i have lots of questions. i called classic inlines and the shop owner said u guys would be the ones to ask.

what is a good throttle body to use and why

If you're a complete novice, the other kind of sites to look at are ones like "howstuffworks" and good old Wikipedia. Everyone has to start somewhere. ;) Megasquirt also runs its own forums.

The most critical aspect (in my opinion) of an EFI retrofit to these older motors is good monitoring/controlling. That will probably require a little creativity in fabricating stuff.

A final caveat on EFI installs - they require a healthy motor. There's no real gain from installing it onto a worn-out unit, as you'll not get performance to match the cost outlay.

Cheers, Adam.

There is no such thing as a bolt on plug and play system for our motors. There are some that are easier than others depending on your skills and goals. Megasquirt has a fairly steep learning curve but I think is by far the most versatile system out there today. When you are finished you should truly understand how and why things work so you are going to be in a much better position for trouble shooting and future mods and upgrades. I love the 'open' nature of it. You are not depending on some corporate board deciding on what features to implement. Much of the MS development comes from users.

I have a MS system on one of my cars now and soon plan on doing it to my 200 using the 'tempo' throttle body. Here is a thread the Moe$ started that many of us have contributed to.
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38349

Here is another recent thread:
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49047

Go to the search function here and type in "megasquirt" I got 258 hits, that will get you specifics to ford inlines.

Here is the best place to start reading 'official' MS info.
http://www.megasquirt.info/

automotive knowledge is not something new to me i have graduated uti and have had a lot of experience in the field and the physical mechanics of it all is not the challenging part the only part that i am very leary about is building the computer from scratch and why should i use the tempo throttle body

You can buy a fully assembled and tested Megasquirt ECU along with various pre made cables and other options from many of the vendors.

The tempo throttle body is the closest thing to 'bolt on' that is somewhat easy to find in a junkyard or ebay. Holley made something at one time but I have never seen one (or even pictures). Most of the other options present physical problems for mounting because they were designed to work on intakes that stood much farther away from the head than our logs.

how do i find an adapter to mount the tempo throttle body onto the log manifold and does this throttle body have injectors inside or do i have to drill and mount some injectors into the log and what year tempos should i look for to pull a throttle body

The TB may or not just bolt on, I don't recall...

The biggest advantage of the tempo throttle body is that it is a complete unit. It includes an injector, throttle position sensor, and fuel pressure regulator along w/ the throttle plate.

That is why it is throttle body injection - the injector is located at the throttle body.

Hi rustyc756.

The tempo throttle body injection unit will bolt onto a 200ci head. My head is a "c7" or 1967 head, but i would think that it will fit any year head. The only thing is you cant use the carburetor heater/spacer thing, which is junk anyways. Like bort62 said, its nice because most of the main components are built into the throttle body. The tempo has a injector (1), a throttle position sensor, a regulator, and some vacuum ports built into it.

And like Addo said, you are not going to find much power converting to efi, especially a tempo setup. The "power gained / cost" ratio is just horrible. If power is what you want, look up some turbo threads. Having said that, an efi system does have some nice benefits that are not power related.

if you have any more questions post them and we will try our best to answer. Or feel free to pm me, or anyone really :D

what year tempo should i look for for the throttle body

does it matter if it comes off a v6 or i4

what year tempo have u guys used and if u dont know the year could u shoot me the part number and i will go ford and get the year

what fuel pump should i use

Have a read through the posts by "Moe$" From memory he is one of the guys using the Tempo setup. I'm pretty sure he has discussed parts sources in his buildup - it's been a while now, though.

Did you have a browse of this thread? He outlines some parts used. :)

I would not say the Tempo arrangement is the "best" by a long shot. what it DOES offer people, is a convenient balance of easy installation and reliable performance boundaries. A big leap up from the vagaries of a single carbed motor.

rustyc756":3076h059 said:
what is another throttle body and or setup that is better

Define Better.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

hly-9900-171.jpg

:)

well, mid 80 v8's had a four barrel carb-looking TBI unit. It wont bolt up to the 200's head as is, but with an adapter it should.

I dont understand what you mean by "modification possibilities."

what is the difference between the megasquirt 1 and megasquirt 2

does it matter

will they both work for my motor

does one really have more functions that are benifical to my motor than the other

and will a universal wiring harness work

MS2 can do a stepper type idle air control and drive an ignition coil direct with something like a DS2 dizzy (no module required). Other than that basic fuel functions can be done on either one. The version 3.xx boards have several options built in that are not on the 2.2 and earlier boards. One notable is the flyback stuff that is needed with low impedance injectors. Most injectors over about 40 lb/hr tend to be low imp which includes all TBI's that I have ever seen. If you somehow made that 4bbl fit I guess you could have high imps but you would then have lots of other issues to deal with.

I used a Holley 12-927 pump on my system. jegs summit type places have them. They come with the clamps and fittings and such. I mounted mine on the flange of my fuel tank with beam clamps from my local home store. I have heard many others complain about the noise of electric pumps but I can only hear this one when I first turn the key. With the engine running I can not hear it even if I listen for it outside the car. My car has heavy duty truck mufflers on it so it is not loud by any stretch.

pump1.jpg

Addo, those TB's in that link look pretty cool. I may just be dumb tonight but I can't see anything but that one page. I want to see what they cost and if they have TPS and such also. I may be able to figure it out in the morning but if you have a link to their main page I would not have to think so hard.

Back