dual fuel with an EFI.

MTGunNut

Of so I was really entertaining the idea of setting my truck up to run gas and propane(more likely methane), like a bifuel truck. I was thinking of running with a megasquirt computer. Is there any model that can handle both fuels? Can you hook two mega squirts up, and switch between them to run either gas or propane? Is this just completely insane? I know that its not very economically feasible to run propane anymore, but heck, I want to try, although the idea of running methane is interesting, so I want to try.

The only things I cannot figure out are:

1. How to introduce the propane(aspirated or through the injectors) and how to do it.

2. How to control the amount of propane that feeds the engine.

3. How to switch between the two.

Most importantly, I do not want to lose gasoline functionality. Is this possibly or am I just a tard?

I have a 1996 ford 150 with a 300CID EFI, 5 speed. Thank you all.

8) you want multi-fuel capability without losing the advantages of each fuel. here you go;

1: the megasquirt efi computer can be made to allow flex fueling, straight gasoline to E85, with the addition of a flex fuel sensor installed in the fuel line to tell the computer how much alcohol is in the gasoline.

2: you can add a propane carburettor that can be setup to run as just an air valve to control the megasquirt system, ot with the flip of a switch you can turn off the megasquirt, and turn on the propane/methane. this requires the use of two fuel shut off valves, and a fuel pump relay. thus when you flip a switch you shut off the fuel pump and the gasoline flow, as well as the megasquirt computer, and turn on the propane fuel flow, and vice versa.

this gives you three different fuels you can run in one system.

rbohm":1y195zsc said:
8) you want multi-fuel capability without losing the advantages of each fuel. here you go;

1: the megasquirt efi computer can be made to allow flex fueling, straight gasoline to E85, with the addition of a flex fuel sensor installed in the fuel line to tell the computer how much alcohol is in the gasoline.

2: you can add a propane carburettor that can be setup to run as just an air valve to control the megasquirt system, ot with the flip of a switch you can turn off the megasquirt, and turn on the propane/methane. this requires the use of two fuel shut off valves, and a fuel pump relay. thus when you flip a switch you shut off the fuel pump and the gasoline flow, as well as the megasquirt computer, and turn on the propane fuel flow, and vice versa.

Awesome! So Im not a crackpot then. :LOL:

Thanks.

MTGunNut":1dpjkbnm said:
rbohm":1dpjkbnm said:

Awesome! So Im not a crackpot then. :LOL:

Thanks.

actually yes you are, but then all use inline six people tend to be rather nutty. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

8) you use two shut off valves, and a switch that allows you to go back and forth between between systems. flip the switch one way and you are running on gasoline, and in the other position you are running on propane.

rbohm":32xszxo2 said:
8) you use two shut off valves, and a switch that allows you to go back and forth between between systems. flip the switch one way and you are running on gasoline, and in the other position you are running on propane.

Oh, ok. Thank you much! :D

Actually, it can be economically feasible to run propane in your engine. The problem is the price of propane varies widely so you really need to check the price of propane motor fuel in your area.

You can run both gasoline and propane injection with a MegaSquirt's MS2-Extra Table Switching Control capability.

Since your engine already has EFI, the simplest and most effective dual fuel conversion you can install is Technocarb's ESIP parts package but Prins and Impco/BRC also make dual fuel systems for EFI engines. I do not recommend installing a fumigation (mixer) system on an EFI engine due to the danger of intake backfires: http://franzh.home.texas.net/fordbackfire/index.html

Using a modern propane injection system allows you to run your vehicle exactly the same on gasoline as it did previously except that you now have the flexibility to operate on a potentially much cheaper fuel. CNG injection is also available but costs more to install and the CNG cylinders only hold the equivalent of a few gallons of gasoline.

ESIP-Components.jpg

fraso":16ab4laa said:
Actually, it can be economically feasible to run propane in your engine. The problem is the price of propane varies widely so you really need to check the price of propane motor fuel in your area.

You can run both gasoline and propane injection with a MegaSquirt's MS2-Extra Table Switching Control capability.

Since your engine already has EFI, the simplest and most effective dual fuel conversion you can install is Technocarb's ESIP parts package but Prins and Impco/BRC also make dual fuel systems for EFI engines. I do not recommend installing a fumigation (mixer) system on an EFI engine due to the danger of intake backfires: http://franzh.home.texas.net/fordbackfire/index.html

Using a modern propane injection system allows you to run your vehicle exactly the same on gasoline as it did previously except that you now have the flexibility to operate on a potentially much cheaper fuel. CNG injection is also available but costs more to install and the CNG cylinders only hold the equivalent of a few gallons of gasoline.

ESIP-Components.jpg

WOW! Thank you!!

Back