• EFI, not just Megasquirt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's a Megasquirt???

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MustangSix

2K+
VIP
I'm finishing off the manifold and hardware for the MS system on the roadster. The Megasquirt site is good, but not focused on Ford stuff we need here, it seems. Is it time to add a sub-forum for MS data?

I see a place to discuss hardware, tuning, share .vex, .msq, and data logs. Same sort of support as we have for the other Fordsix issues.

While I do think that too many forums Dilutes the message, I also think that supercharger and turbo doesn't have a lot to do with EFI.

So maybe it's a Megasquirt Forum, or maybe just an EFI Forum - but I think a dedicated forum for fuel injection would be a good thing. EFI is both a simple and complicated thing at the same time, and I think getting all of the information - especially that regarding all the details necessary to make the swap - into one place would be a good thing.

Finally, a subject I actually know something about!

Enough of this carburetor nonsense :) Now we can debate the Merits of TBi and MPFI, Batch and Sequential - and wasted spark!

I think a general EFI forum is probably better than a Megasquirt specific forum... I think a fair amount of the content will be for Megasquirt, but there are other options out there.

On one hand, I do think it would be nice to have the EFI content broken out, but on the other, if you're posting/searching for a system/setup/application/problem/etc... that is both boosted and EFI, which forum do you either post in or search in?

I say a MS forum is definitely the way to go, however I am extremely biased since I have one and am in the process of gathering all the bits :D

I'm working on putting a K car TBI on my 170 while I'm building my 200 for MPI with a custom manifold on an OZ head.

I'm sure either way (general EFI or dedicated MS) the forum will be informative, probably a bit entertaining and very helpful to those involved in it.

Call it EFI and cover all aspects. I will also be using the MS in conjunction with a turbo, but I think seperating the two will be beneficial.

Good call.

I voted for EFI, because I'd like to learn more about the various components that people are using; which throttlebody, injector, sensors, etc and how did they mate them to our Ford sixes? Almost like creating a blueprint for those that come later.

I like the idea of dedicating a Megasquirt only forum. Notice the amount of people that already have MS projects here. MS is complicated. There is a lot of trile and error. A dedicated subforum would make it easier for users with MS to share info and ask questions. Other EFI topics like piggyback chips or junkyard swaps have nothing to do with a standalone computer. A general EFI forum will have questions like "What is a fuel injector?" or "How does EFI work?".

A dedicated forum will help actual MS users and potential MS users. Anyone even thinking about a MS system should already understand how EFI works and what parts they will need. Keep the forum specific and I think it will turn out great. I will definitely share my info. :D

dzertracer":1dwuvsyt said:
I like the idea of dedicating a Megasquirt only forum. Notice the amount of people that already have MS projects here. MS is complicated. There is a lot of trile and error. A dedicated subforum would make it easier for users with MS to share info and ask questions. Other EFI topics like piggyback chips or junkyard swaps have nothing to do with a standalone computer. A general EFI forum will have questions like "What is a fuel injector?" or "How does EFI work?".

A dedicated forum will help actual MS users and potential MS users. Anyone even thinking about a MS system should already understand how EFI works and what parts they will need. Keep the forum specific and I think it will turn out great. I will definitely share my info. :D

I actually agree with this a lot. I didn't think I had an opinion before, but I think I do now...

MS only, leave the SC, Turbo., and EFI forum for the "stupid" questions.

Since EFI forum is ahead of MS only forum I guess you could make it a EFI forum and have some stickied threads at top for megasquirt only discussion.

Like one thread for MS installation, one for MS tuning,

OK, responded to quick. Vote for Mega-Squirt forum, but want to change vote to EFI forum Mega-Squirt included.

Makes more sense.

Cast a vote last night for a general EFI forum. But like Anlushac11's suggestion of specific stickies for MS specific topics. It would be good to see what inventive people out there might be able to do with other EFI systems which would be very valuable for information.

Teddy :)

The only reason to NOT do something like this that comes to mind is that the SC, turbo, and EFI forum gets so little traffic as it is, dividing it out would make it even more of a ghost town.

To start with, a digression of sorts!

I notice official recognition of a trend experienced personally, in vehicle sales. Four cylinder, manual trans cars with motors around two litres are selling very well in the used market, with prices being higher than one would consider sensible. The clear pointer is consumer ideas about economy.

More prevalent thoughts of economy will also trickle down sooner than later into forums such as FSP. So it will point us towards efficient engine management/operation. If one takes "Performance" to mean doing what we want it to do, but better than stock - then it certainly belongs here!

Is Megasquirt a good fit for this template? I recently ran into a guy in Australia who found that a Haltech ECM was inadequate for his aftermarket project, and my understanding is that it's somewhat more evolved and powerful than MS. So my reservation is that we could end up intensively supporting technology that is ultimately a development cul-de-sac. The inception of a Megasquirt forum might also attract non Ford six traffic at a level detrimental to the site's core focus...

So for the reasons above, I'd probably oppose a separate forum for now. Instead, I think about throwing the ball back to CI and the talented DIY brigade to actually show practical ways of fitting EFI-related parts onto the motors, with a view to CI selling some of these. For example, perhaps dampers with a skip tooth sensor wheel on them.

Perhaps there should be a more open challenge to the "computers suck" brigade, too? It's hardly common to hear of a correctly installed or maintained EFI system failing - most faults could suggested as owing something to either age (neglect) or ineptitude.

That's about where I see it all presently!

i agree with what addo said, and i'll suggest having a sticky at the top of the turbo/supercharger/EFI forum dedicated to MS.

leave it open so members can post questions.

Having read all the posts here, there seems to me to be a sense of men trying to impress other men with this topic here in what they know and not so much to lend a learning ear, especially with the stupid questions remark, thats not necessary, I go to this forum to learn and learn I have, I am particularly wanting to know the the pros and cons at this time between batch and Sequential, as I have put myself on a very quick learning curve with EFI.

I voted yes as I beleive MS is a form of EFI unto its own and for those with the time, inclination and good EFI smarts it can be very rewarding and fullfilling to program something to tailor fit your needs.

I think this would be a great addition to the forum. An all around efi forum would be great. I think what would help the megasquirt the most is the tables and the baseline settings for each engine application.

Back