fuel injection

dieselmaster

just out of curiosity, and i think clifford performance has a fuel injection setup or are working on one. but how hard would it be to put fuel injection on a regular log head setup, more looking torward fixing the fuel distribution problem. using the carb hole as purely an air intake.

I have thought about this a few times. I'm sure injectors could be patched into the log with a little bit of effort, but I wouldn't be looking to only have the carb hole as the only air intake. I haven't fully thought it out, but I'd be inclined to drill a carb sized hole in the top of the log lined up with each inlet runner, or at least have one hole between the #1&2 runners and #5&6 runners. Then make a custom inlet manifold to bolt onto it. Reason to do so would be to supply an even and consistent flow of air into each runner so that the spray from each injector would be carried straight down the runner. Maybe I'm over complicating it all.....maybe the pressurised spray of fuel would have enough momentum to punch through any fast flowing air stream. My main concern is that the air to the #1 and #6 cylinders would have to do too much of a dog-leg and that it may cause fuel from a injector to be blown off line and impact on the wall of the runner, rather than being carried down the runner into the cylinder. Would be happy for opinions as to whether there is any merit to my thoughts.

Teddy :)

yeh i see what you mean about holes one and six still being an issue air flow wise. however in a boosted air system that would correct any uneven flow. Me being more of a fan of n/a at the moment possibly making three air inlet holes like if one were making a tri carb set up and using them as air inlets.

dieselmaster, I have a thread on the log injection.

My placement of the injectors is a little extreme but I was trying to get the injector to spray at the short side radius at the valve.

An injector placement between my set up and turbo fairlane's would work well.

I plan on going with a full length air-water intercooler with 3 inlets like a tri-power manifold with one throttle body feeding the intercooler plenum.

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27536

i read through the thread and before i go on i must say impressive, and job well half way done lol. Honestly it is exactly how i had it pictured it to be. just out of curiosity how much money woudl u say you have in this compared to buying the aluminum head for comparison. We are all trying to be different by running a 6 but a fuel injected six puts ya way beyond that. I can see its more time consuming then it is expensive. i'd like to try both setups myself.

Thanks for the compliment.

I don't have very much money in the log head. I have access to a tig welder and a mill. The injectors were about $300 and I've got $15 in the stainless tubing and fittings. I do have an Aeromotive 800 hp efi pump and regulator with one 10 micron and the other 100 micron filter.

I'm not sure if I can compare what I'm doing to Mike's head. I'm simply just trying to build the fastest log 200 Mustang and have fun doing it.

Most people think my log is heavily ported - its not. The extensions were a recommendation of George Delorean, to even air flow to the end cylinders. No porting was done inside the log. I think it actually hurt wet flow. I have larger valves with 30 degree back cut and bowl work done. Nothnig fancy.

Some people work with wood and build birdhouses. I enjoy working with metal and making my own hot rod parts. Its kind of nice that Summit doesn't sell what we need.

I'm sure similar results can be accomplished using simpler tools if needed.

drag-200stang":2hdcohmc said:
Thanks for the compliment.

I don't have very much money in the log head. I have access to a tig welder and a mill. The injectors were about $300 and I've got $15 in the stainless tubing and fittings. I do have an Aeromotive 800 hp efi pump and regulator with one 10 micron and the other 100 micron filter.

I'm not sure if I can compare what I'm doing to Mike's head. I'm simply just trying to build the fastest log 200 Mustang and have fun doing it.

Most people think my log is heavily ported - its not. The extensions were a recommendation of George Delorean, to even air flow to the end cylinders. No porting was done inside the log. I think it actually hurt wet flow. I have larger valves with 30 degree back cut and bowl work done. Nothnig fancy.

Some people work with wood and build birdhouses. I enjoy working with metal and making my own hot rod parts. Its kind of nice that Summit doesn't sell what we need.

I'm sure similar results can be accomplished using simpler tools if needed.

Drag,

Would you mind describing the process you use to TIG weld to the head? I have had nothing but problems trying to get this pig iron to weld properly.

Thank You.

Bort,

I dislike welding on the head. The less, the better. I prefer bolt on adapters with gaskets for tripower or direct mount.

The plenum extensions were welded with a stick welder using nickel rod. I just warmed up the area a little bit and had at it. A few spots leaked, I just ground and rewelded.

I'm not an expert, just a self taught hobbyist. But for tig welding, make sure you use 100% argon and definately not the CO2 mix. Also, your tip must be clean - the 2% thorated tungsten works good. Maybe check out the non-radioactive replacement. I've had good luck also with nickel rod. I think it also helps to use clean castings, not something that has been oil soaked for 40 years. As you know, small cracking is inevitable.

drag-200stang":kfaimgap said:
Bort,

I dislike welding on the head. The less, the better. I prefer bolt on adapters with gaskets for tripower or direct mount.

The plenum extensions were welded with a stick welder using nickel rod. I just warmed up the area a little bit and had at it. A few spots leaked, I just ground and rewelded.

I'm not an expert, just a self taught hobbyist. But for tig welding, make sure you use 100% argon and definately not the CO2 mix. Also, your tip must be clean - the 2% thorated tungsten works good. Maybe check out the non-radioactive replacement. I've had good luck also with nickel rod. I think it also helps to use clean castings, not something that has been oil soaked for 40 years. As you know, small cracking is inevitable.

Well, I am an experienced TIG welder - I just wondered if you had discovered the "secret" to welding the CI these heads, blocks, and exhaust manifolds are made of.

I can weld it, but there is so much contamination in the metal that it just burns and pisses as much as it melts. Looks like hell and leaks a little.

8) Would it be bad to mount the injectors on the outside edge of the log so they spray directly down the port at the valve?

Is there a reason this would be bad? Too much chance of fuel being knocked against intake runner and falling out of suspension?

My other thought was to mount the injectors on the bottom side of log shooting into the valve. I was thinking a Aluminum heat shield or Jet Hot coated manifold would keep the injectors from getting too hot.

I would also try to find three Throttle bodies and set it up so it looked like the tri power setup. If you used the under the intake runner injector mounting it would be mostly unseen.

Never moved far enough in thought on how to hold the injectors in place.

Anlushac11":ok56xqwk said:
8) Would it be bad to mount the injectors on the outside edge of the log so they spray directly down the port at the valve?

Is there a reason this would be bad? Too much chance of fuel being knocked against intake runner and falling out of suspension?

My other thought was to mount the injectors on the bottom side of log shooting into the valve. I was thinking a Aluminum heat shield or Jet Hot coated manifold would keep the injectors from getting too hot.

I would also try to find three Throttle bodies and set it up so it looked like the tri power setup. If you used the under the intake runner injector mounting it would be mostly unseen.

Never moved far enough in thought on how to hold the injectors in place.

I don't see why mounting the injectors axially colinear to the intake ports in the head wouldn't work.

Assuming it cleared the shock tower, etc. Holding them in place is easy, you just need to have the desire to take on such a project.

All in all it really would not be very difficult. Even JB weld would be sufficient for securing injector bungs.

There are several suppliers of fuel rail blank extrusion, probably the same people who supplied you got the bungs. A special stepped drill is used to cut sockets for injectors. Injectors must line up in all axis to use. Have also seen injectors that have a seperate line from a fuel distribution block.
Look at Kinsler they have just about everything for FI.

Back