I started the 300 today with the MS

JonL

I started my 1988 ford F150 up on the Megasquirt today and it seems to be running rich way rich. The sensors all seem to be working right. I can not seem to lean it up. I have almost 0% in some of the VE boxes. Another question would be what are some people running for reqfuel miliseconds Also does anyone have a Megatune file for a bone stook 300?

Just start out with the default VE table and try adjusting the required fuel number. Its under 'fuel setup', 'injection control'. Its the first box and it has a calculate button that does it for you but if its still rich try lowering the number till it runs good then you can go back and mess with the tables.

Also DO NOT pay any attention to O2 readings until you get it to idle nice and rev up nice. Misfires really screw up the readings. If it sounds smooth it should then give you stable readings that mean something.

I just did some quick looking and 42 lbhr injectors come out to 429 HP. You mention 'bone stock' which I would think to be more in the 250 range maybe? 250 HP would be 29 Lbhr. One of the many problems with too large injectors is getting them to flow little enough to idle. You would have to drop the fuel pressure in half to get closer to the right flow and they usually dont perform that well that far off of their rated pressure.

fordconvert":3akv1d9z said:
I just did some quick looking and 42 lbhr injectors come out to 429 HP. You mention 'bone stock' which I would think to be more in the 250 range maybe? 250 HP would be 29 Lbhr. One of the many problems with too large injectors is getting them to flow little enough to idle. You would have to drop the fuel pressure in half to get closer to the right flow and they usually dont perform that well that far off of their rated pressure.

Thanks for the response
I'll try lowering the required fuel number
As far as the big injectors I agree that is why I decided to get the MS working right, before I put the big injectors and turbo on. I believe my factory injectors are 14#/hr can anyone confirm this?

Is it rich when in fuel enrichment mode?

Make sure you have the correct mode fueling e.g. simultaneous or alternate.

Check to see if the barometric feature isn't giving a false startup figure

Remember that the megasquirt interpolates and extrapolates VE across the range, so changing one or two VE values may not have a significant effect except for poor idle.

As suggested, initially play with the req'd fuel number, rather than the VE values. Run closed loop and get an idea of what the gamma values are calculated by the programme, before switching it back to user values.

Most seem to have an inflated idea of what their engine VE is when running the uitilty to populate the VE table. Be a bit more realistic with both idle and top end values

if you can tell me how to send it to you i will send you the table im running as of now. i know its not perfect but the truck is driveable with it

14 lbhr would put you in the 150 hp range which I would totally believe for an 80's emissions engine.

IF you are going to send him a file, send him whats called the .msq

Its in megatune under the file menu. If you have not saved it before you will have to connect to your ECU. Just hit save as and look where it saves it to. Then just attach it to an email. He can then go to his megatune and under file hit 'open' and select the file you sent him. He can then look at your settings and maps and decide if he wants to try running your whole program or just modify his. He will also be able to to to the 'basic tables' tab and export your ve table if thats all he wants. He can then close out your program and open it with his then import your table he just saved.

Make sure you save your files before you start messing, name them something that makes sense. At first you can just load his files in without being connected to your ecu. It will just ask you if you want to work offline. I cant remember what to tell it when it asks if you should burn to the controller, one way messes up because it cant find it, the other way works fine. This may be fixed on later versions, mine is older now.

The beauty of all this is he can load the other file and if it works better than what he has he can then modify it. If its worse a few keystorkes and he is back to where he was. Beats the heck out of tearing the carb down and changing jets only to find you went the wrong way.

red(neck+truck)":2ilm7edy said:
if you can tell me how to send it to you i will send you the table im running as of now. i know its not perfect but the truck is driveable with it

That would be great if you could send me your .msq file.
Couldn't be any worst than what I have.

It seems that I have an ign problem. It idles rough and will not rev up no matter how rich and lean I run the fuel. I am attempting to use the Ford TFI with the megasquirt. I am pretty sure that the engine will start on the base timing 10 BTDC and then start looking for spout signal from the ECM.? Also I believe that if the Spout is unhooked then it will run base timing 10 BTDC. This is how I have it wired on pin 36 on the DB37 is unhooked in hopes I could run on base timing and tune the fuel then go back and optomize the ign. Does anyone have MS running with a TFI ign?

Update, turned out I had one diode in backward... and one of the injector signals was staying on 100% of the time. I got it fixed runs fine now. On with the big injectors and fuel pressure regulator.

I have read through most of this and agree with fordconvert, I think your best injector range would be 19-24 lb if you want to go a little bigger than stock and you will be able to optimize the pattern on your injectors with the correct pressure, but I also read it is running fine now, but I still think for a more balanced system they should be smaller and you may get better gas mileage if the fuel is atomized through the injector at proper fuel pressure, just an opinion with little efi experience.

Success is good.

Just get it running recently or just get around to posting? If you just got it going recently how did you remember anything? I did mine so long ago now that I can barely remember how to start the car. I hope nothing goes wrong because I dont remember much about the setup.

I got it running this spring, and prior to that hadn't been working on it. The company I work for closed a factory down, and I relocated me 300 miles away, so I had to move the family.
As far as injector size I'm planning to run E85 and boost, so I am going to need big injectors. I cut the fuel rail and brazed -6 fitting on it for my univeral fuel pressure regulator and guage. I'll have to post a pic it turned out pretty good.

Here is the fuel rail.
DSC01596.jpg

Here it is on the truck. I had to notch the intake a little to get access to the adjustment on the regulator.
DSC01600.jpg

I also added a hose at the shadder valve location for a sending unit for the guage in the cab.
DSC01601.jpg

Back