Megasquirt and the aussie 4.0l?

Unfalconbelievable

Hey guys, I'm in aus and i own an XG ute with the 4.0l ohc multipoint engine. Running twin T28's off rb25 nissan engines at the moment but the stock ecu can only handle 4.5psi of boost due to the map sensor. I'm looking at getting the megasquirt 2, how hard is it to run multipoint and 3 coilpacks? I could swap in a later modle 4.0l from an AU with the crank trigger for this or should i stick with the distributor based hall sensor system? I'm assuming i would just use the ms wiring harness and cut and join all my plugs right? I'd luv to be pushing 10psi into this donk, I've got some bigger injectors already waiting to go in, the stock map sensor is all thats stopping me....

P.s i cant just swap in a 2 bar map sensor as the eec4 runs a frequency map sensor and there are none made that read any more then 4-5 psi

Surely some one here has an idea about ms and what im trying to do, the bottom end can handle around 8-10psi. I've thought of swapping the gear on a 250 elec dizzy and using that for ignition, locking the mech advance and running vac advance and boost retard then getting a wolf 2d and running fuel only but id rather be able to control the ignition and fuel, ms2 will run grouped coils off three drivers right just like a gm or later eecv? and the stock ecu banks 123 and 456 injectors, would it be better to run the injectors in pairs like the coils? Could i use 6 coils and wire them in pairs?

any particular reason why you're looking at MS as opposed to some of the other computers?

Unfalconbelievable":2687ktur said:
would it be better to run the injectors in pairs like the coils?
also, i just noticed this, surely you're not suggesting firing the injectors twice per engine cycle?

there is nothing wrong with firing them twice....assuming the mapping is adjusted.

2.3L ford turbo carbs were batch fired (they all fire 4 times a cycle)

under heavy loads and high rpm the pulse width of the injector is quite long in relation to valve timing and such.

XFlow_Fairlane":32tpx6t6 said:
there is nothing wrong with firing them twice....assuming the mapping is adjusted.

2.3L ford turbo carbs were batch fired (they all fire 4 times a cycle)

under heavy loads and high rpm the pulse width of the injector is quite long in relation to valve timing and such.
so each injector fires on every stroke of the engine?

Yea the later models of my engine run the wasted spark system, grouped coils for 1-6 2-5 and 3-4, and my engine currently fires each lot of 3 injectors 3 times per cycle i bellieve. The size of the injector and pulse width is matched accordingly. Well megasquirt seems to be the most cost effective ecu out there that can support everything i need, multiple coils, multipoint injection and 2 bar map sensor.... would it be better to keep the current injector grouping or switch to pairs. I think pairs of slightly larger injectors fired similar to the ignition would be more efficient and effective, ie in the cylinders grouping, meaning one cyl is on intake and its partner is on power when the fuel is injected.

I ordered a microtech yesterday, couldn't get the info on the megasquirt i wanted so i bit the bullet. should be pushin 400hp at the wheels in a month or so, i'll start off with a mild tune as i only have 450cc injectors at thye moment, should be good for 350hp at the flywheel tho

I think that was a smart buy. I just built a megasquirt, and I am pretty impressed with it (although I have only built and bench tested it so far, and as they say "the proof of the pudding is in the eating") but I don't think you can support multiple coils without custom building some circuitry. I may be wrong on this, but I didn't notice anything in the megamanual about coil packs, and I read the section about ignition control circuitry pretty closely because I built the high current coil driver circuit so that I can switch my MSD with the MSII.

Unfalconbelievable":3d3rkeu0 said:
I ordered a microtech yesterday

That's a shame. A Megasquirt would do all you need plus more! I don't like microtec boxes - IMO they are poorly made and too much money for what you get.

I have a 'dirty old' 250 crossflow - and using the original wiring harness, plug, etc. I run EDIS 6 wasted-spark ignition, control fans, purge solenoids, etc. all with a Megasquirt 2. I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Ah, well.

Alfred Lord Tenniscourt":222uvrbu said:
I think that was a smart buy. I just built a megasquirt, and I am pretty impressed with it (although I have only built and bench tested it so far, and as they say "the proof of the pudding is in the eating") but I don't think you can support multiple coils without custom building some circuitry. I may be wrong on this, but I didn't notice anything in the megamanual about coil packs, and I read the section about ignition control circuitry pretty closely because I built the high current coil driver circuit so that I can switch my MSD with the MSII.

The MS2 can run an EDIS module. http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

Gentlemen, I stand erected.
Although, technically the megasquirt doesn't run the coil packs, the megasquirt signals the EDIS which runs the coil packs. Although it is a really cool set up and my hat is off to anyone who gets it working, I don't think you can do much more with your ignition than you can with a dizzy. Granted, it cuts down on moving parts and spreads out the spark energy between three coil packs which reduces heat, but it doesn't look like you can tune anything more precisely than you can with a dizzy.
I just read that the new MS is coming out soon and that it will have the ability to drive COP which can vary tuning for each coil, and that it will be able to sequence the injectors. It will be hard not to open that can of worms...

^^^ Have you seen how the timing signal varies with a distributor? +/- a couple degrees? Have a look with your timing light.

Then compare with an EDIS setup..... the timing doesn't move unless you want it to. MUCH more accurate.

Mine doesn't seem to vary that much. I am using the computer to control the advance, so the dizzy is locked. If you were running a sloppy, old set of weights and a sloppy vacuum advance, I can see where there would be a lot of fluctuation, but with the locked setup the reluctor and rotor are only two solid gears away from the crank. Admittedly, that is not as good as triggering off the crank itself, but there isn't the slop of a timing chain, or the slop of an unlocked distributor, in the setup as there could be in other distributor configurations.
Have you got her up and running yet?

On my original EFI setup I had a TFI distributor - no weights or springs. With the factory eec4 system or the MS system I had small (+/-2deg) of timing variation - everywhere. With EDIS the timing doesn't deviate from what it's set to.

Sorry its been so long since i jumped on here, just had a busy time lately. She is up and running, just waiting on some dyno time to tune it up propperly. still running the 4psi as before till i can get it tuned. I wish i could post pics on here!

Back