Nitrous Question??

Not sure the size shot, seems like everyone in the 5.0 world claim 100shot will put you a second faster in the 1/4. Your 1/8 times are stout tho, thats what my 5.0 coupe was runnin last year on street tires!! I slapped on some Mickey Thompson drag radials and instantly started runnin 8.7s with a 1.9 60ft. Hook that sucker up and you wont need near as big a shot as you would think!!! Shoot...my turbo inline wont run that good a time, similar MPH but I think the stock 2.73 rear end is hurtin me LOL
Matt

66Sprint6":6g48tuqu said:
Not sure the size shot, seems like everyone in the 5.0 world claim 100shot will put you a second faster in the 1/4. Your 1/8 times are stout tho, thats what my 5.0 coupe was runnin last year on street tires!! I slapped on some Mickey Thompson drag radials and instantly started runnin 8.7s with a 1.9 60ft. Hook that sucker up and you wont need near as big a shot as you would think!!! Shoot...my turbo inline wont run that good a time, similar MPH but I think the stock 2.73 rear end is hurtin me LOL
Matt

Doug,
Put the 75 shot in there and just pop the hood when they come by.
Trust us....they will want you on the show!

Set your M/T tire pressure at 18lbs. and raise your launch RPM a bit and hold on. Make sure you use a throttle activation switch and another arming switch.

And like Matt said....100hp shot on a V8 is about 1 sec. off of E/T as a rule of thumb. This would be for a street car.

Tell Rich Christiansen we said "HI" :D

Later,
Will

Those "Sticky Mickeys" will help out TOOONS!!! Imagine your times if you could cut a 1.7-1.8 60ft!!! I cant wait to get my little inline's bugs sorted out and a good tune on it so I can start beatin up my 5.0's times lol
Matt

Doug,
The 75 should easily do it as long as you can get it to hook up. You would need about 48rwhp more to go from 14.00 to 12.99. Unfortunately, nitrous systems rarely put out the advertised hp unless the engine and cam are optimized for nitrous use. So, the 50 would probably not cut it.

Just make sure you get the required fuel when the nitrous is on, and make sure your timing is correct. If not, you will burn stuff quickly. (pistons, rings, and plugs etc.) Please don't ask me how I know this!

Hope to to see you TV! Good luck!!

-Jim

i was reading an article about setting up nos and it was very interesting. he was taking a 100 hp kit and ended up making a lot more than that. he did that by using larger exhaust valves and opening up th exhaust ports more. the theory is because of the explosive force of nos you need to get it out of the cylinder as fast as possible. the really interesting thing was he kept the intake side almost bone stock just a slightly large intake valve. i wonder if the same principle would apply to a turbo or supercharged motor because the intake is already charged and will push as much air in as it can. but on the exhaust side a larger valve might help get the exhaust out faster. sorry just rambling and i know all about traction issues even my ranchero with the stock 200 would spin the first 8 feet out or so hook up then go but my 60 ft times were in the 2.6 range. at least it was spinning like that consistantly lol

karfer67":1ur89vjj said:
i wonder if the same principle would apply to a turbo or supercharged motor because the intake is already charged and will push as much air in as it can. but on the exhaust side a larger valve might help get the exhaust out faster.
Those types of mods are actually done, a head that is going to be used for forced induction is ported much differently than one that is going on a naturally aspirated N/A engine. Many head porters try to maintain a 75% ratio between the intake and exhaust ports for N/A heads, and a 80-85% for forced induction heads. Meaning, the exhaust port flows 75% of what the intake port flows for N/A, and 80-85% of the intake port on forced induction heads.

Quick 8":1ix0q9w7 said:
Doug,
The 75 should easily do it as long as you can get it to hook up. You would need about 48rwhp more to go from 14.00 to 12.99. Unfortunately, nitrous systems rarely put out the advertised hp unless the engine and cam are optimized for nitrous use. So, the 50 would probably not cut it.

Just make sure you get the required fuel when the nitrous is on, and make sure your timing is correct. If not, you will burn stuff quickly. (pistons, rings, and plugs etc.) Please don't ask me how I know this!

Hope to to see you TV! Good luck!!

-Jim

Thanks Jim!!

Heres the system I'm looking at using. Cant use a plate because of hood clearance.

When/If I order it I'll buy a 50 and 75 hp jet and try it out.... ;)

Later,

my only worry would be putting too much nos on the cast pistons. when you put too much on it the ring lands can collapse.

Doug, I recomend starting with a little extra fuel pressure and leaning it down from there. This is especialy helpful when trying to run as many as three systems on the same engine. :LOL:

Another problem area I have seen is a deadend fuel line. The best way to plumb fuel for NOS is a return regulator. Imagine a small cheater system with the fuel line cooking under the hood until the weekend and having vapor in the line. That is the source of many pops. It is funny how everyone installs the purge sol so they fog NOS and look cool. If they were to purge the fuel side, they cold avoid some Pops.

12.99 huh, a second and a half...

That's alot of time, but you can do it.
I'll see if I can't get down there this summer, I'd love to go to an all out event.

A good rule of thumb that allows some saftey margin is 30% ( considering your combo and espcially the pistons ) I suggest not to Use that much .
I have used N20 since 1978 and have never hurt an engine BUT , it is done all the time !! , Nitrous is a great power adder , but like anything it needs to be treated with respect and research , I dont recomend anything more than 125 with cast pistons ( less if they are the Hyperutectic kind ) and you will need approx 175. Its just not safe since your in the 50% plus range ( feasable on a purpose built engine ) but your combo is not strong enough for that much N20 ( in my opinion ) If you really want to build a N20 combo I would be glad to help.

if you havne't bought your pass yet, you will need to go to the qualifying on may 1st.

I sent an email about spectator tickets. I don't see that they had a start sell date or any sold out information.

Are they going to be any other i6'ers there??

i'll try to find time to post a new thread but..

Driver tickets, if you don't have yet, you need to go to the qualifier may first. 40 spots available. See the website or call US 131 Motorsports park for details.

second, spectator tickets are still available. you can order on the website.

i'm ordering mine this weekend.

I'll have to meet up with you. I'd love to see your car! sadly, I am 6-less at this point in time.

opps.. sorry, 30th, sorry for the typo.

man the reserved seats were almost all gone!!

I got some in towerside, section b, 2/3's the way up. shouldn't be too bad.

I guess Im kind of slow on this reply, but the last time I went to the track my 5.0 DD ran a 14.7 on motor, and with a 150 shot I ran a 12.80. On the nitrous pass I let off a little bit and sprayed 20 feet off the line or something? I took my 60 foot from a 2.2 to a 1.9. I was afraid to spray it at the line. That was on slicks.

Back