Fordconvert

Broncitis

Famous Member
I have heard you say many times plug and play is a fantasy, well you are correct again, my SST smart tune technology from retrotek didn't work, fortunately it did run in the 1800 to 3,00 rpm range quite well to break in the new engine, it is running rich and will stall out below 1500 rpm, I should have a laptop by next friday and assistance from a knowledgeable friend with very good software from retrotek. Anyway, my brand new 130 amp alternator spun for about five minutes and locked up, since I bought it on the internet, another wait anyway and also my high dollar nordskog boost gage didn't work, so I still don't know what boost I'm running, I will have alot of picks and info to share about a week and a half from now under the al head section. Since I started it up in my shop with ventilation and I was not able to walk back to the mufflers are go listen under the hood as I was just trying to break it in, I don't really know what to think of how it sounds, I am very pleased to say that I had not one leak of any kind. A friend of mine said it sounded like something was angry under the hood.

I hope that there will be a system out there that can someday but so far what you said seems to be fairly typical. I dont doubt that the system can be made to run but thats just not how they 'sell it' to you. 'They' (not just picking on retrotec) make you think that its just a matter of bolting it on and plugging it in and after a ride around the block its better than a factory system. I have even seen that on tv a few times, I guess that should be our first clue that if it looks easy on tv when you try it at home on your car its going to be 10x as hard and expensive. Now that I have done my own MS setup I think I have learned a lot about EFI and even engines. I think that my next project will be something I can do in a day or two vs. the weeks it took on the first one. Now I understand what has to happen so all that is left on any system is to figure out how to tell the computer to do it. My original plan was to do the EFI on my old motor get it all working then put in the new motor. Ended up starting the new motor on the carb and then making the switch. Bummer to hear that retrotech was not quite what they claim so far. They do have a cool looking TBI unit though. If I ever have the bucks and want that holley carb look that looks like the way to go. I lost oil pressure on my EFI mobile last fall and have not had time to tear into it to find out why yet. Mustang may happen this summer but there are a few other things it needs more than EFI. Its been running pretty good so I think I will do some body stuff first.

We put a man on the moon 40 years ago, 40 years ago, and we have all these complex systems, you would think that someone could build a processor that takes the readings of all sensors and in nano seconds could convert them into usuable info with only the basic of parameters pre entered assuming all the components are matched to make it possible, I can't do it, but it sure doesn't seem to be out of the realm, someone will be very rich one day, come on microsoft, intel, amd and others, this should be a cake walk. Oh thats right cyberdine systems became self aware, holy moly we need john conners to stop my thought patterns.

Finally got it running today, had to convert to N/A temporarily, it fired in batches of 123 and 456 and 456 were not firing the injectors, no ground thru ECU, so I just hooked them up 123456, by using the ground off of 123 and it worked great and was easy as heck to tune and ran like a raped ape, I still am amazed how well it ran and thats with low compression and no blower that will be hooked back up soon, that multi port fuel injection with the new al head just wakes the living heck out of that 200 with that gm throttle body, simply amazing how easy it was to tune once all injectors are firng DUH. The guy helping me tune it just could not believe how it ran, I was all smiles. I am a pleased customer of that new AL head, it rocks, just a note I am using 19lb injectors and had a choice between 19, 24 and 30 and seemed to tune the easiest on 19's, one note, run the butterflies all the way back as far as possible are 3 and 4 will lean out and run higher exhaust temps. The multiport likes this best according to our infrared sensor after we made another adapter plate. More even air distribution, I put an x pipe right off the header collectors and does it sound great with just cheap turbo mufflers.

Back