duraspark ignition with megasquirt

Greg

I just got my '67 mustang 200ci 6 CYL running on the megasquirt (just ignition for now), but I would really like to see what others are using for the megatune basic ignition settings with a duraspark ii distributor. I am using the vr pickup in the duraspark ii distributor and controling the neg terminal of the coil. Currently my ignition offset is 65 degrees which is way too much, but the timing was way off with the megasquirt. Physically the distributor is 20 degrees advanced.

Thanks,
Greg

That sounds like a lot of offset. Are you sure you are sparking when the rotor is near the proper terminal on the cap? What I would do is hack up an old cap so you can see the rotor. I would then use a timing light to rotate the dizzy so it gets closer to the correct spot. As you rotate it the timing will also change. You then change the offset so the timing goes back to where you want it. Eventually you should be able to get it so when you are say around 20* on your table you are fairly well aligned on the cap.

I am not running spark on my projects yet so I have no tables to share.

I have the car now running well on megasquirt. When initially tuning I highly recommend getting a friend to attempt to start the car and using a timing light to get a good idea of where things are at. The car runs relatively well with default settings once dialed in and it is nice to finally be able to type in timing advance numbers into a table and see results. No more playing with springs and weights and I stay much cleaner.
We are due to have a baby march 25th so the setup of fuel inject may be a while, but I expect it to not take too many hours to setup and dial in. We shall see once I am able to work on it again. Diapers come first:)

Sorry I didn't respond. I haven't had time to keep up with the forum lately... I am running a duraspark to signal the MSII, and then I have an MSD to actually trigger the coil.
It sounds like you have everything figured out pretty well, but if you need to bounce anything off someone. You can always hit me up.
I am running a locked duraspark. I have it advanced about 12degrees. I think your trigger offset might be so high because when you locked the distributor it moved the reluctor in relation to the drive gear. If that is the case it won't cause any problems because the reluctor and rotor are still locked together. The other thing I can think of that would cause a sizable offset like that would be that the trigger is set to "going low" when it should be set to "going high" or vice versa in the software. I am not sure if this would cause problems or not as far as changing the curve as the RPM increases, but I don't think it would.
Congrats on your biological imperative. Good luck on your mustang.

I did priginally have the software set to trigger low (ground terminal to trigger), but then I read in the instructions that the new boards had been changed and the software setting is oppisite the actual output. It did have an affect on timing settings. I now have the timing much closer to what I was using for the original Duraspark.

When things slow down at home and I get some more sleep. I'll post more on the conversion and how I did it... Maybe even pictures... But first it's time to post some biological baby pictures...

Thanks,
Greg

Back