EFI options

blue beast

I've recently picked up a 1980 Mustang with a 3.3 to go into it, and the current plan is to turbo charge it. I was thinking that maybe i could convert to EFI for even further gains, i've heard some talk already bout a megasquirt system and i was wondering if this is the best way to go, or is there a more budget oriented way with somewhat good result....by somewhat good i mean better than a carb'd turbo, lol

Just my .02c...

If you get the Oz head you can adapt it to run a GM 2bbl TBI unit.

Looks like this: http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/tbi.html

The advantage of this is that it is fuel injection in a self contained unit. You get a Megasquirt II computer from DIY Autotune: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... -p-65.html

You get their wiring harness which is labelled so you know what goes where.: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... p-101.html

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/imag ... und_lg.jpg

And since its a popular GM unit every nut, bolt, screw, and pin is documented.

You can also remove the injectors and use the GM TBI unit as the sensors for direct port injection since all the sensors are contained in the body. Instead of figuring out where to mount a throttle position sensor, MAP sensor, IAT sensor they are all built into the housing.

Heck, I would not be surprised if someone doesn't already make a prewired plug and play harness that plugs directly from the TBI unit to the Megasquirt ECU.

It is difficult but not impossible to add direct port fuel injection, you can get the injector bungs online and have them welded onto the top of the intake runners.

The best place to mount direct port injection is facing the base of the valve and that can be problematic on the log head or the Oz head.

ok, two quick basic question, how do u adapt the throttle linkage/cable to the gm TBI and with the 400 dollar MS 2, it comes with all the wiring nessecary? what type of programming is needed? or is it almost set to go? very confused by efi stuff, lol

blue beast":1cvzjri3 said:
ok, two quick basic question,

how do u adapt the throttle linkage/cable to the gm TBI

Same as you would with a carb. You will probably have to fabricate a bracket to hold TBI end of the cable and figure out how to attach the cable to the throttle linkage. .

and with the 400 dollar MS 2, it comes with all the wiring nessecary? what type of programming is needed? or is it almost set to go? very confused by efi stuff, lol

Nope.

$400 is for the ECU only. No relays, no wiring harness, no sensors or any other stuff you might need.

To program a Megasquirt you download a program called Megatune and you connect to the Megasquirt with a DB25 cable which is basically a old 25 pin serial port cable. If you know someone who can build the computer for you then you can build it alot cheaper. The $400 price is for a Megasquirt II PCB 3.X, is assembled, tested, and ready to go.

blue beast":ldlx0d47 said:
...so still a pretty complicated process...

Yes, but that would be true of any EFI conversion for these engines. If you want to be able to buy an off-the-shelf, bolt on, plug-and-drive, ready-to-go EFI system for what would normally be a carbed engine then you will pretty much need to switch to something like a generic small block V8 crate engine. Nobody makes them for the Ford inline sixes that were used in Mustangs, Falcons, Comets, Mavericks, Rancheros and such.

(Yet.)

:unsure:

well, i wasnt expecting plug and play...but maybe was just hoping for a "take this from a GM, and that, and this, then follow these steps...ok, actually i had no idea what to expect, lol...so what would be the total costs of conversion? i dont want (or need) direct port injection, i'll be happy with the TBI as thats what i had in mind, as was said before that Unit already has the needed sensors in the housing correct?

You can probably get a plug and play EFI setup for your motor from a company like SDS but once you see the price you will be happy to do the Megasquirt.

IIRC the SDS system was close to $2000.

Do more research and readup, there is a guy who does a how to install of a TBI on a SBC but he says its the same procedure to install a GM TBI on any gasoline engine

I found this to be a informative article: http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... 1-nova.htm

All I can say is read and read and read then come ask questions. No one is going to hassle you for asking questions.

Why pay $400 if all you want it to do is run a tbi?

The "old" ms1v2.2 is $240, assembled, or buy a kit and solder it yourself for $139.

:beer:

With the Megasquirt II and version 3 board you can also control ignition spark timing. I have mine only controlling ignition spark timing until I mount the throttle body (I plan on this taking a while, I am getting very little sleep currently with a newborn) to my log head (I have an idea of how to make this a bolt on job with existing adapters, except for throttle linkage). I purchased a knock sensor for feedback when setting the spark timing and I have configured the controller to automatically retard spark timing when driving if the sensor detects knock.

So in short if you plan to go further with your car's modifications and want more control go with the Megasquirt II and version 3 board.

Greg

Honestly, MS1 can almost do anything that MS2 can, and it will do anything you will need to to do on one of these engines. There is way more code mods and info for MS1 out there over MS2. I assembled my MS1/v2.2 setup with the flyback card for around $180 finished. Dont waste your time or money on MS2, just go MS1.

All i really would need it to do is to run the EFI with a turbo, and thats about it, im not currently plannin on doing anything more to this engine, the turbo to kick the 200 in the pants a lil and add a lil intrest

I really looked at running the TBI unit but to run the power level Im trying to hit (300hp) on two injectors I dont think it would ever idle.

I also considered running the TBI unit as a controller and still running port fuel injection but then the stock log and exhaust ports are my biggest restriction.

300 hp on 2 injectors is doable. I got a 2bbl on a 500 cu in engine. Not sure what its doing for HP but stock they were in the low 300's so im guessing thats the ballpark. I believe the chev 454's were also in the low 300 range and they were 2 bbl tbis 87-95.

Back