Attempting Bolt On Chevy TBI

Greg

I am attempting a bolt on Chevy TBI unit for my log head on My '67 Mustang. I already have the Megasquirt currently controlling ingnition pretty well so now it is time to add the fuel injection. I don't have much time to work on it as I have a new baby, so I am going to attempt the following bolt-on. I am using a 2-1 Classic Inlines Holley adapter with a TransDapt Holley to Chevy TBI adapter. All together about $100. I also have a Chevy TBI (Actually a Holley performance TBI upgrade) for a 2.8L Chevy truck engine I got off Ebay. I also already have an electric fuel pump already setup with an external regulator (Note: I could have used the TBI internal regulator). See picts below. I'll let you know how it goes once I finish the TBI install... I will also take more picts as time permits.

Greg

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/...ang - Megasquirt/cameraclearing6-23-09183.jpg
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/...ang - Megasquirt/cameraclearing6-23-09184.jpg

The Classic Inlines 2-1 Holley 2V adapter is shorter than the old Clifford 2-1 Holley/Webber adapter. The Chevy TBI is shorter than the current Holley/Webber 32/36 currently on the car. The Holley 2v to Chevy TBI adapteris only 1/4 inch thick. I think the log manifold to air cleaner mounting surface height will be lower. Although I may need a higher air cleaner.... We shall see.

Greg

That looks interesting. That CI funnel adapter doesn't have the smoothest flowing profile I've ever seen, but good for hood clearance! Valve cover clearance an issue?

Too bad the head isnt off the car so you could have log milled to run a direct mount Holley 2bbl adapter, a 1" spacer, and the TBI adapter. Bet that would really wake the engine up so to speak.

Sorry my 4 month old is keeping me busy lately, I hope to get some time in a couple of weeks to bolt on the TBI. I have all my parts now ready to install to get the TBI up and running except for the actual bolts fot the Chevy TBI itself, but no time to work on it. I am hoping to get some time to work on it next month...

Greg

falcon fanatic":2l5x0scq said:
That looks interesting. That CI funnel adapter doesn't have the smoothest flowing profile I've ever seen, but good for hood clearance! Valve cover clearance an issue?
This is true, but we designed them like that for a reason. It's a little hard to explain, so here's a crude illustration. Part 2 (a phenolic spacer) should be available shortly. ;)

Attachments

• adaptorspacer.JPG
    adaptorspacer.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 71
I've begun the install. So far I can say the height to the base of the aircleaner mount is about the same as with my Clifford 2-1 adapter and holley/webber carb.
I discovered the classic inlines 2-1 holley 2V adapter must be used with the original heated carb spacer to gain enought clearance to the valve cover. I have to go out and get some misc hardware to mount it but I'll take some Picts when it is mounted. I may have to remove the valve cover attached heater clip due to interferance issues with the TBI.

Greg

I am very late on updating. First off,I did not need to use the heated carb spacer, but valve cover clearance is very close and I did some carving using a milling bit for my dremel.

The car starts and runs. I could probably even drive it, but I need to install the o2 sensar and still have very little time to work on it (45 min per month roughly). Updates will be slow.

Greg

Slow progress is still progress. I have a few projects that have not even seen 45 minutes of wort this year. Keep us posted.

from what I have read you are using

Holley TBI for a 2.8L
MS for ignition and fuel

are there any other things that you have? what kind of sensors are you using? anything that you discovered along the way?

this is very like the same that I want to go and do to my i6 except keep'n the DUI.

I got it runnng, but have not had time to fully tune the system in the last 3 years. I now have an almost 3 year old son that takes most of my spare time :).

I used the GM sensors for water temp, and air temp. I use the on board map sensor, throttle position sensor a d iac valve o. The throttle body. For the watertemp sensar I used some plumbing connectors from Home Depot to make a T and have both the fActory and original temp sensors.

I used an external fuel pressure regulator and plugged the throttle body fuel return, but if the car sits for a few days the injectors mustbe run in test mode to blead the line of air. If anyone can help me find the original fuel fitting to screw in the throttle body fuel return, please let me know.
Greg

I'm using close to the same TBI on my system, I just installed it, AFI makes it as a kit.

the fuel fittings are close, but I really don't know what so say other than keep try'n . my intake fuel fitting is 3/8 and the return line fitting is 5/16, but both use a 5/8 nut.

Maybe a call to AFI might get you the part you need,

I still had to bend mine a little and add a 1inch spacer to lift the TBI high enough for clearance of the valve cover. but have a send line and return line. all is perfect.!! just need to replace my new sending unit.

edit:http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDELCO-OE-...8L|Make:Chevrolet&hash=item4600d5261a&vxp=mtr

how happy are you with your fuel map? do you think I cna get a copy of it? just a few screen shots as I'm using a GM computer, maybe AFI will make a new chip tune close as yours. I'll PM you with my email address if you have a copy of the the tune you use.

Back